jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

Anybody here suffer from type II diabetes?

1. IzzyM profile image84
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

If you do, you may be interested in this BBC news report that suggests type II diabetes can be cured by following a strict 600 calorie diet for just 6 weeks!

I was going to write a hub about it, but I feel this may be too important to wait for viewers.

1. cydro profile image95
      cydroposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I guess that no one really wants to admit they do.

I think it's a great topic though.  The World Health Organization has been doing a lot of research on this recently I've heard.

I think they said something like worldwide Type II diabetes is supposed to double from 2005 to 2030.  Mostly because the rest of the world is following the trend America started.

1. IzzyM profile image84
        IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

And apparently it has doubled since 1980 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13917263
        I personally blame convenience foods and the processed food industry.
        Until about 5 years ago it is nigh on impossible to find any read-prepared meals in the supermarkets here in Spain, honoring the Spanish tradition of cooking everything from scratch with liberal amounts of olive oil, even although every town seems to have a McDonalds and a Burger King.
        After all, the Mediterranean diet is the healthiest in the world.
        Now all I see are fat kids. And the health authorities are admitting they have a problem with obesity.
        It's not just the advent of the home computer game, that keep kids from playing outside and burning off energy - it's the muck we feed them, and eat ourselves. Foods loaded with salt and sugar and artificial preservatives and God knows what else.

2. dutchman1951 profile image59
      dutchman1951posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have it and reversing the disease is difficult. There are no magic diets or cures, just claims. If you have it...you have it. You can reverse the Disease and make its affects negligable on your body over the long term. But you have to do two things, Admit you have it, accept that, and change your life style and foods for good.  No magic 6 week cure's for it I think     smile

also please consider, any diet that does not sustain the body with the correct balance needed can be dangerious to a diabetic. 600 calories, is to low.
      many factors involved with the disease.

1. IzzyM profile image84
        IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Absolutely, I think the medics put a disclaimer on that article "Don't try this at home folks". The volunteers in this program were under strict medical supervision and almost certainly not working because 600 calories is not very much at all.

How nice to think that this six weeks of Hell (cos let's face it, we are going to be feeling pretty hungry in that time), followed by a sensible diet, would completely normalise your blood sugar levels back to a pre-diabetic state.

They are saying it is a build-up of fat in the pancreas and liver that stops our insulin cells from working properly, and that this six week diet breaks down that fat and returns insulin levels to normal.

They also say starvation works the same way.

Interestingly enough, one of the side effects if you like of starvation is the body produces ketone bodies - you emit a body odor not unlike nail varnish.

You can also force your body into producing ketone bodies (its the end product of fat breakdown) by going on a strict carbohydrate restricted diet.

Diabetic followers of the Atkins diet reported almost immediate improvements in blood glucose levels, despite a higher fat intake.

The whole topic is fascinating!

And no I don't have diabetes, but am aware we are all at risk as we grow older, especially if we have a tendency to be overweight.