jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Is Soda Bad for Blood Pressure?

1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

Ask the Expert: Is Soda Bad for Blood Pressure?
    New findings on how your soda habit is impacting your heart health.
    By Rachel Johnson, Ph.D., M.P.H., R.D., EatingWell.com

You know that drinking too many sodas and other sugar-sweetened beverages (SSBs), such as teas and flavored drinks, is bad for your waistline. New research shows that it may be bad for something else, too—your blood pressure. A new study of nearly 3,000 people published in the journal Hypertension reported that those who drank more than one serving a day of SSBs had significantly higher blood pressure than participants who drank one serving (about 12 ounces) or less daily.
    http://health.msn.com/health-topics/hig … ;GT1=31007

I read each week about more convenience foods that are turning out to be major health problems. We need to return to real, less convenient foods to stay healthy

1. fucsia profile image61
      fucsiaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I am totally agree with you. In addition, the soda does not  quenches thirst like water: the most good beverage!

2. 0
      u01dtj6posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Why would Soda be good for you, as opposed to bad? I totally agree - water is best!

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

If it's factory food it is probably poison.

3. livewithrichard profile image84
    livewithrichardposted 5 years ago

Anything that is high in sodium can be potentially adverse to blood pressure, among other things.

Agreed that convenient foods are not healthy but its hard to make the time or spare the expense to prepare a healthy meal.  Also, convenient foods are habitual and we all know how hard it is to kick a habit.

4. fit2day profile image83
    fit2dayposted 5 years ago

There are always cases of so-called break through research, but it's really just proof of wasted money. Too much of anything can be harmful, the bigger question is How much is too much. I think the bigger issue is the fact that soda is so much the norm that it catches many off guard. I know whenever I sit down at a restaurant and have water, many times the person waiting shows less interest in serving me. I drink water because it quenches the body better than anything else and it's cheaper.

I don't think soda would be so bad if there weren't so many artificial ingredients.