jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Pediatric chiropractic. Safe?

1. Judi Burton profile image81
    Judi Burtonposted 5 years ago via iphone

I have personally had chirpeactoc work and it has alleviated a tremendous amount of pain. Would I have skipped all that pain if I had been adjusted as a newborn? I was a c section baby because the cord was wrapped around my neck.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image60
      MelissaBarrettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

An infant/young child's bones are far to soft to be "adjusting".  The risk of damage would outweigh most possible benefits.  Any serious spinal issues in children are best dealt with by pediatric orthopedists or (in more serious cases) neurologists with developmental physical therapists brought in for aftercare.

1. ChrisChatzoglou profile image61
        ChrisChatzoglouposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Pediatric adjustments are very different from adult ones. They are gentle, specific and have been shown to be safe and effective.

2. healinghands1668 profile image85
      healinghands1668posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Skeletal adjustments in infants are probably not safe. However, infant massage can do wonders for the little one. Infants who are massaged soon after birth tend to have fewer problems with stomach upset, or ailments of the foot and leg such as pigeon toes.

What people don't tend to realize is that bones are pulled out of alignment by muscles and tendons. Having soft tissue treated, especially in tandem with chiropractic treatment, is really best overall.

2. wilderness profile image97
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

What does being a section baby have to do with it?  A C section is far easier on the baby than being squeezed through a tube far too small, even to the point of deforming the skull.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image60
      MelissaBarrettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The cord wrapped around the neck, I think, was the more pertinent information.  It can cause neck/spinal injuries even in c-sections. The danger is obviously higher in vaginal births (along with that whole hanging thing) smile

1. Aficionada profile image92
        Aficionadaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

One of my boys had an extra long cord.  You can't imagine how hard it is, in the delivery room, to go through this long series of hee-hoo-hee-hoo's to keep from pushing, when your whole body is screaming Push, Push!!  and the OB-GYN is screaming Wait, Wait! - and knowing what might happen. 

The doctor managed to get the cord removed from around his neck, and he's a fine, strapping 24-year-old now.  And he never needed any chiropractic adjustment.  Hasn't so far, I mean.

@Judi B - Definitely don't try chiropractics on a young child.  I can't imagine a reputable chiropractor working on an infant, in any case.

3. earnestshub profile image87
    earnestshubposted 5 years ago

Stretching can reduce pain temporarily. Chiropractics are as far as I know, still unproven, along with acupuncture and many other methods people employ.