jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

1. 0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

Our receptionist at work just lost her father. They don't have a lot of money and they didn't have a funeral, they just made arrangements for his cremation.

She said the crematorium told her that her father had to weigh at least a hundred pounds in order for the cremation to be free. There was some doubt as to whether he would fit into the'free' category. He was a small guy and had suffered for several months from stomach cancer.

Does anyone know anything about cremation and why this is?  It sounded very odd.  The only thing I could get out of it was  they could only make money if they had a big enough body to cremate, but I couldn't figure out what they planned on doing with the remains.

I plan on being cremated, but I would certainly like to know what the standard practice is with the ashes.  I might not want them to keep them.

1. Freegoldman profile image61
      Freegoldmanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Cremation is the process of reducing dead bodies to basic chemical compounds in the form of gases and bone fragments. This is accomplished through burning—high temperatures, vaporization and oxidation.[1] Cremation may serve as a funeral or postfuneral rite that is an alternative to the interment of an intact body in a casket. Cremated remains, which are not a health risk, may be buried or immured in memorial sites or cemeteries, or they may be legally retained by relatives or dispersed in a variety of ways and locations.

2. 61
      Melanie109posted 4 years ago in reply to this

ohhhh..so sad...she can cremate her father ... according to... Cremation Guide

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

I, too, would be interested in any and all cremation information that anyone would care to share.

3. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

I know nothing about it, with regards to how funeral homes provide cremation services. However, my mother has made the decision to be cremated when she does pass. The arrangements are already paid for and there wasn't anything like what you mentioned, as a part of it.

She has already spent $900 for the service in advance. There will not be a funeral, but will have a short/brief service for just selected individuals of immediate family. My mother has already made her wishes known to me, that no other family members are to be contacted at the time of her passing.

4. 0
    Sherlock221bposted 5 years ago

I had a friend who died some years ago and there was qite a lot of trouble finding a crematorium which would take her, because she was a very large person, and most said the coffin would be too big.  I cannot understand why there would be problem if the person was small.

5. cathylynn99 profile image78
    cathylynn99posted 5 years ago

in pennsylvania, there is a law that the cremains have to be buried. my mom wants to be cremated. we will bury her cremains over my father's casket.

1. 0
      Emile Rposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well that's odd.  I wonder why they have to be buried.  I thought most people scattered the ashes.

I read an article once about an old couple that had died that I thought was horribly romantic.  My husband and I have decided to do it.  Whoever goes first has the other cremated and holds the ashes until they die too. Then, their remains will be cremated.  The kids are supposed to combine our ashes and then scatter them.  We just thought it sounded like the perfect end to a happy marriage.

I suppose burying the ashes would be romantic too, but I hate the thought of my ashes stuck in one place, not that it would really matter at that point, I guess.