jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

What do you do about back pain

1. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

Many of us have back pain from time to time. What do you do when it comes and how do you decide it's time for professional help?

1. Sally's Trove profile image100
      Sally's Troveposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It's time for professional help when you have mild recurring back pain over a long period of time, or an onset of severe debilitating back pain (where you can't function). In either circumstance, you need to find out why. Have the x-rays and MRIs done and get a diagnosis.

Back pain can be symptomatic of disorders not related to the spine.

2. SuperheroSales profile image60
      SuperheroSalesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My biggest relief comes from the use of a tens unit.  It seems like the only thing that works when my pain is at its worst.  I also go to a chiropractor when I'm feeling bad.  Another thing that helps me is a product called a Miracle Ball.  I lay on those to relieve muscle tension and can sometimes use them to "pop" my back.  Finally, I like the full back massagers that sit on the back of chairs that you lean against.

I'd say any time you have intense back pain you should seek professional help right away.  If the pain is persistent you also need to get checked out.

2. 0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

It depends on the source. If it's muscular, I take naproxin. If a disc has slipped slightly it's trickier. I lay at the top of the steps with the small of my back just past the landing and then lie back with my upper body down the stairs, or over the side of the bed in the same manner.

It hurts to get into that position but it seems to put things back into place. I can usually jump straight up afterwards.

3. CASE1WORKER profile image85
    CASE1WORKERposted 5 years ago

oesteoptah- he puts it right- touch wood nothing for the last two years!

1. Sally's Trove profile image100
      Sally's Troveposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I value DOs enormously. They are geniuses of the mechanical functioning of the body in relation to its health. For one to earn an MD here in this country, osteopathy is hardly one of their curriculum requirements, although it should be.

4. classicalgeek profile image87
    classicalgeekposted 5 years ago

Massage and chiropractic care, plus some essential oils, do it for me. It took a year of weekly therapeutic massage (the kind that hurts when they do it, not the feel-good kind) before I got mostly (about 75%) pain-free but it was totally worth it to avoid surgery and pain meds. I have great mobility compared with a year ago.

5. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

well it took two weeks of not being able to turn my head,to seek professional help.
    i found out that I had a curved spine.. chiropractic helped a lot and now can use some home products when i have minor pains..
    I think going in for a check up once a year is wise..

6. cathylynn99 profile image78
    cathylynn99posted 5 years ago

if you have weakness or numbness with the back pain or bowel or bladder problems, immediate medical attention is in order. otherwise, comfort measures (tylenol, heating pad, etc.) for a couple of weeks until the pain disappears are good. if the pain doesn't go away, that's another reason to see the doc. after the pain leaves, core strengthening exercises will prevent the discomfort from returning.

7. Dr. Aaron LeBauer profile image81
    Dr. Aaron LeBauerposted 3 years ago

I wrote a hub about this exact topic.  I was inspired by friends and family who lived far away so I had something to just email to them.

http://dr-aaron-lebauer.hubpages.com/hu … easy-steps

80% of american adults have back pain at some point in their lives.  It also re-occurs frequently and there is a lot that you can do about it yourself.  I just want to point out that discs do not "slip", they may bulge, but the bulge can be there for years and not be symptomatic.  Typically what this is an acute muscle spasm.   Also, X-rays and MRI's are not necessary and are an often unnecessary expense and use of your time, unless you have medical red flags, like a history of cancer or bowel and bladder incontinence, suspected fracture or experienced significant trauma. 

first start with waking, pain free (or minimized) movement and treat the soft tissue.  You can do this at home with an inflatable ball or see a Physical therapist, massage therapist, osteopath, or other bodyworker.  See my hub for handouts, videos and details.
    good luck,
    Dr. LeBauer

8. cre8ivOne profile image83
    cre8ivOneposted 3 years ago

I have suffered from back pain a majority of my adult life.  Part of the problem is due to the fact that I have mild scoliosis in my lower spine and that is exactly where I develop pain.  I did a lot of physical therapy when the pain first started but ultimately the best things for my back are:  chiropractic, ice packs, stretching, acupressure and muscle relaxants.

I have the debilitating kind of back pain where my back locks up so much (muscular) and I am literally unable to do much more than lay down on a bed.  It's really an abrupt kind of problem as I cannot work or do anything around the house until my back begins to heal.

Things I have added to my routine are yoga and stretching after work.  I always have done lots of walking so that is really good for my back when it starts to feel a little better.

I don't wish the knock-you-out kind of back pain on anyone!

Stay well!