jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Suicide Rates Vary by Region: CDC

1. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

Suicide Rates Vary by Region: CDC
    HealthDayHealthDay  Thu, Oct 20, 2011

THURSDAY, Oct. 20 (HealthDay News) -- There's a suicide every 15 minutes in the United States, and for every person who takes his or her own life there are many more who think about, plan or attempt suicide, according to a federal report released Thursday.

The analysis of 2008-09 data from the National Survey on Drug Use and Health found that rates of serious thoughts of suicide range from about 1 in 50 adults in Georgia (2.1 percent) to 1 in 15 in Utah (6.8 percent). Rates of suicide attempts range from 1 in 1,000 adults in Delaware and Georgia (0.1 percent) to 1 in 67 in Rhode Island (1.5 percent).
    ..Suicide rates were consistently higher in western states, especially the Rocky Mountain states, according to the report. It found that adults in the Midwest and West were more likely to have suicidal thoughts than adults in the Northeast and South, and adults in the Midwest were more likely to make suicide plans than those in the South. Suicide attempts did not vary by region.
    http://news.yahoo.com/suicide-rates-var … 06906.html
    I thought this was interesting....

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

It's almost always about money and/or health; specifically the lack thereof.

3. paradigmsearch profile image90

As to the Rocky Mountain states, they do get less oxygen there...

4. paradigmsearch profile image90

"Don't Give Up When You Fail - Get Up Instead"

http://motown2chitown.hubpages.com/hub/ … Up-Instead

5. tsmog profile image85
    tsmogposted 5 years ago

Suicide is a touchy subject and this is revealing information for sure. My first thought based on this information is what happen in 2008-2009. We know recession hit hard about 2008. We know the credit crunch that ensued.

This information is interesting and for me prompts desire to seek more (as time allows). I wonder where the credit crunch hit hardest and what economies - farming, ranching, agriculture, business types, industry locations, etc. were affected most where and what persons - about to retire crowd or young just beginning.

Next, I wonder the definition of adult. I know I can get to technical. But to ponder for me is to understand. Was this an increase in overall suicide rates or was there an increase in young adults vs. older adults. I say this because of the many personal conversations I have with both age groups and their view of a 'future.' Some are more dismal. Especially with the looming question of social security and the many 'without' any retirement. And, those I converse with on campus much younger than I, well they have a lot to say.

But, suicide comes in many forms. My experience has taught me it generally is viewed as a solution to a problem. The problem becomes greater than the 'self.' Hence, the solution. So, again what was the problem(s) that were regionalized.

Just wandering a bit. Thank you Stacie for presenting this revealing information. Oh, just adding a tid-bit, self-destructive behavior is a very close relative to suicide. That wasn't revealed with this report. So, are those results the tip of the iceberg or is the behavior really exponential relational to the cause.

6. cathylynn99 profile image79
    cathylynn99posted 5 years ago

having lived in both the east and the midwest, i'd say the more rigid social structure in the midwest contributes to the higher suicidal thoughts there.

tsmog, i heard on the news that suicide rates have actually gone down during the recession. no clue why.

1. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes,Cathy, re-reading the information above it only says where and not that there is an increase. I will have to follow her link again. Doing a little bit of hunting, since at work, no time to study them now, I thot to share.

Nov 2007 top states for depression & suicide http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/200 … bers_N.htm

and Jul 2011 Top 15 suicidal cities in US by Business Insider can be found here http://www.businessinsider.com/most-sui … 011-7?op=1

also, at the bottom are the 13 careers most likely to commit suicide.

Interesting food for the original thought on region. I see I will have to fire up the coffee pot tonight when I get home.

My touchiness with suicide is my past experience with 'hot line' stuff. I can usually discuss facts and stuff easily, but when the discussion heads toward the 'experience' of it then I shy away. Maybe I should confront it to some degree, since it has been awhile now since my last experience.