jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

What Triggers your Migraine Headaches off?

1. Seeker7 profile image93
    Seeker7posted 5 years ago

I was reading an interesting hub about things you can do to help alleviate migraine headaches in addition to or instead of regular medication. The topic also came up about what can trigger migraines. Apparently there is no medical evidence for things such as chocolate etc., triggering off migraines. However, I worked with a lady a number of years ago who suffered from terrible migraines and she was adament that eating fruit, especially oranges was a big 'no,no' for her as they triggered off her migraines. Do any hubbers who suffer from migraines have any 'triggers' that they are sure causes their migraine?

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't get conventional migraines. I get the fuzzy lights at the corners of my eyes and it makes me feel nauseas, but not head pain.(my GP says they're still migraines) It is always stress that triggers this, not food. If I'm worried or get worked up about something I 'll have these episodes.

Seeker7posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi Hollie, that's interesting about getting the sickness, the lights and so on but not the pain. I don't get migraine's but severe tension headaches - and they can be so bad that I've actually been physically sick with them. I definantely know that, like you, it's stress that can bring mine on, but also in the mornings when I wake up, I can feel one starting and that usually lasts all day. I had one that lasted about 48 hours!

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
          Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi Seeker7,

When I was 16/17/18 I got tension headaches all the time, I used to have to hold my head when I walked or moved.(you know that feeling that every time you moved the pain intensified) I'd often go to bed with them, and like you, wake up with them in the morning. But there were no lights or fuzzy images. It appears that this is what those tension headaches have become. I must say though, Seeker7, I prefer them to those awful headaches that can last for so long, as you say.

Hi Hollie, I know what you mean about 'holding your head' I've tried that and anything else to make it feel better - I honestly thought sometimes that my head was going to explode!!!hmm

2. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

http://www.nmag.gov/ImageFetch.ashx?Size=0&ImageID=969
    Next question...

Next question what?

3. BlissfulWriter profile image86
    BlissfulWriterposted 5 years ago

Headaches can be caused by many things.  And different things for different people.   Magnesium deficiency is one possibility that can cause headaches.  But there are many other possibilities.

4. tsarnaudova profile image81
    tsarnaudovaposted 5 years ago

Seeker7,
    You have serious problem. I used to suffer from migraine many years and I can say that was the worse condition - not only pain, but also dizziness, photophobia, nausea and even vomitting - that I've ever had.
    For years I haven't feel so poorly. My migraine is off its way. I tried many medications, alternative terapies and nothing worked except homeopathy. Have you ever consider such approach?

working