jump to last post 1-28 of 28 discussions (30 posts)

When you can't sleep what do you do? Read? Watch tv? Write? Eat?

1. MissJamieD profile image80
    MissJamieDposted 4 years ago via iphone

I usually watch tv or read.

1. Shinkicker profile image91
      Shinkickerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I like to read too. Concentrates the mind and relaxes me.

2. m0rd0r profile image85
    m0rd0rposted 4 years ago

I play online games with my friends. It takes about an hour to get sleepy and I need to excuse my self.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image66
    prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago

I just lie down in bed until I sleep

4. Cardisa profile image90
    Cardisaposted 4 years ago

Write! Write! or Surf the net or HP.

5. sofs profile image86
    sofsposted 4 years ago

LOL... Can't sleep is not there in my dictionary smile I dream, dream, and dream smile

6. Johnjfernando profile image60
    Johnjfernandoposted 4 years ago

Study, visit hubpages and try to occupy myself until 3am where I hit the gym at a 24hr facility near my house. Stay until 7am and come back to start the day. Life goes on! smile

7. Rising Caren profile image80
    Rising Carenposted 4 years ago

Attempt to read a novel in a language I'm learning (Japanese). The extra brain power needed to decode the words really tires me out after about 10 pages for kids' books, and 3 pages for other books.

8. Night Magic profile image61
    Night Magicposted 4 years ago

I get up and have a cigarette and when I go back to bed I fall right to sleep.

9. health-resource profile image59
    health-resourceposted 4 years ago

Get up and browse the internet until my eyes get droopy.

10. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 4 years ago

I don't have sleeping problems. I've found a sure-fire way of putting myself to sleep. It's called conscious review of my day. I consciously think about everything I did that day and every person I had interaction with.

It is known that my subconscious records everything I smell, see, hear and touch, so I review my entire day from beginning to end, and look for things which I didn't realize or focus on during my awake time.

By the time I am done, I'm exhausted so that nothing would prevent me from sleeping.

11. Will1015 profile image61
    Will1015posted 4 years ago

I know this sounds terrible, but I just ask my wife about her day. I have no interest in what she does for work, and have a hard time staying awake as she recounts her day.
    It puts me to sleep, but also gets me in trouble, so maybe not the best strategy.

12. Ryan Queen profile image59
    Ryan Queenposted 4 years ago

usually I write, because when I can't sleep that's when gazillion of thoughts are running in my head. but if it's just an impulse to stay awake, I just count in my head and I'll be asleep by the time I reach 100 or so.

13. ftclick profile image61
    ftclickposted 4 years ago

So sleep function on the click does not work for you.
    Put the TV on with some history education, animal planet. etc
    playing games or computer before bed has the opposite effect of putting you to sleep.

14. emievil profile image84
    emievilposted 4 years ago

I usually read a chapter or two of any book I'm currently reading. Always works, I'm usually asleep within an hour.

15. 0
    The Writers Dogposted 4 years ago

4.5 nights out of 7, I just toss and turn until 2am or so. Then I give up, head for my study, and write for a couple of hours.

16. msshandriaball profile image71
    msshandriaballposted 4 years ago

I do all the above and usually don't get sleepy until the sun comes up.I have suffered all my life with insomnia.

17. Sarah Bolluyt profile image60
    Sarah Bolluytposted 4 years ago

I write, and drink more coffee.  I figure that if I'm not going to sleep, I might as well be productive.  smile

18. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

i usually go online and read...

19. Maddie Ruud profile image82
    Maddie Ruudposted 4 years ago

Looking at a screen (be it TV, computer, or mobile device) before attempting to sleep can worsen insomnia.  I usually lie as still as possible trying meditation techniques until 4 am.  4 is my cutoff.  If I don't sleep by 4, I just get up.

20. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 4 years ago

I work out.  I get on my tredmill or my spinner bike and exercise till I'm tired. Sometimes I clean my house.  Or if I'm really restless, I'll just take the dogs for a long walk.

21. Lady_E profile image83
    Lady_Eposted 4 years ago

Sounds of nature help in soothing me to sleep sometimes.

You can find them online...

sounds of waves by the sea.
    sounds of birds.
    So many beautiful sounds to choose from.

Buy a CD or download them on your mobile. smile

22. Damayanthi profile image60
    Damayanthiposted 4 years ago

I read, meditate, listen to soothing music.

23. Jeppi profile image60
    Jeppiposted 4 years ago

I usually start to daydream about something nice and before you know it, you're sleeping smile

24. rlaha profile image78
    rlahaposted 4 years ago

I start reading a boring textbook and within a few minutes I am so tired I can't even keep my eyes open any longer. smile

25. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 4 years ago

Honestly I tend to cry,
    Then grab something
    Huddle up in blanket crocheted by my Mom
    and wait

26. livewithrichard profile image84
    livewithrichardposted 4 years ago

Jack and Diet Coke usually do the trick if I'm having sleeping problems, unless my girlfriend has other ideas smile

27. Greek One profile image80
    Greek Oneposted 4 years ago

i make love.....

sometimes with another person involved too

1. Justjed profile image62
      Justjedposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It has been a long time I experienced that. I am always dog tired before getting into bed and I am off even before my head hits the pillow. I spend time on my system till I am exhausted

28. lieur profile image61
    lieurposted 4 years ago

every night i can't sleep and usually i always watch tv to fill the time until morning.