jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Yet another TIA

1. Captain Redbeard profile image60
    Captain Redbeardposted 4 years ago

I just got out of the hospital for another TIA, I had my first three years ago. The first one made me meet some wonderful people at PT and allowed me to purchase an awesome wheelchair that I got to use for 5 weeks.

This time around it was advised that I use a seated walker but since I have the wheelchair already I'm thinking that I will just use that instead of getting the seated walker. I have a protein deficiency that is pretty rare, it causes my blood to clot easily. Anyone else out there have clotting issues?

2. mel22 profile image61
    mel22posted 4 years ago

Seroiusly, know your blood type and "Eat Right 4 Your Type" by Dr. Pete D'Adamo.. probably could Find on Amazon real cheap.

Captain Redbeardposted 4 years ago in reply to this

"Dr. Michael Greger, founder of NutritionFacts.org, said the premise of the blood-type diet is wrong: The blood-type system, which predates humans, is far more complicated than just ABO, he said.

“People crave individualized, personalized science, but this is pseudoscience,” said Greger, a general practitioner specializing in clinical nutrition.

People who lose weight or feel better after starting the blood-type diet could actually be uncovering an allergy, or may just be eliminating junk food, Greger said.

While she applauds D’Adamo’s marketing, Dr. Ingrid Kohlstadt, editor of the medical textbook “Food and Nutrients in Disease Management” (CRC Press) and an associate at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, said the connection between blood type and susceptibilities is not strong enough to be meaningful from a medical or public health perspective. She said she would rather prescribe a diet according to a person’s gum health, which is strongly associated with heart disease, than his or her blood type."

http://www.buffalonews.com/life/health- … 633969.ece

3. mel22 profile image61
    mel22posted 4 years ago

i'll take a look later, but if certain foods agglutinate (clump) certain blood types, then eliminating those foods could stop clots in the least. To be honest I thought the book clearly indicated it was about eliminating allergies. The word diet assumes 'losing weight' but diet in the way D'Adamo uses it simply means the foods you choose or your diet and not to lose weight diet as others proclaim against the book.I've never once while reading the book thought it indicated it was a losing weight book. In fact I think it more pertains exactly to allergens and disease rather than simply going on a diet to lose weight.

ok well to be fair though, you recommended a book about diet and not about deficiencies. My body doesn't make the protein c very well at all which causes my blood to clot and has nothing to do with what foods I am eating. My blood is naturally thick. The best team of people at the Cleveland Clinic have even told me that there isn't much that can be done about this disorder.

I however from doing research of my own theorize that a diet consisting of high amounts of Vitamin K might be able to stabilize my deficiency and make my body fall into balance to where I do not have to take this rat poison any longer. Anyway, I'm sure that book is a good read and probably has some great points. I just am leery about people giving the "Cure all book through diet" because of how varied everyone is, not to mention it wasn’t so long ago that nutritionists were telling us that margarine was good for us when in all actuality it is a plastic.

4. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 4 years ago

Hey Captain, I would suggest that you find a much simpler solution for bringing down your level of stress. I'm sorry to hear about your TIA and I know what you are going through with it. My mother had 5 of them, before it affected her so much so that she was finally admitted to a hospital.

As I learned TIA are small/minor strokes. And the effects can be devastating. In my mother's case, it was related to unoxygenated blood reaching her brain, due to a hole in her heart. It took the doctors about 3 days to figure it out, but since they did, she has been on a blood thinner to reduce the clotting of her blood, so the hole in her heart doesn't cause problems.

I certainly hope you don't have the same issue with yours. Because the insurance companies won't cover the surgery to correct it, due to the fact that it can be monitored and handled by prescription medicine. I personally think that's absurd, but I don't have the money to pay for the surgery and neither does anyone in my family. hmm

Good luck going forward. smile

Thank you sir, I was born with a Protien C deficiency. Pretty much a really rare dissorder that keeps my blood thick instead of thin. Best of the Best suggest a teaspoon of olive oil a day, eating alot of mustard and "healthy" doses of warifin. Currently I am taking 15mlg of it in addition to the lovinox injections in my stomach twice a day. They found a blockage behind my left ear this time. Motor fuctions were effected this time. Typing now is challanging. I have to retype a word on avarge three times before I spell it correctly and am having to do the "hunt and peck" method to make sure I am hitting the right keys.

Anyway, life is still good. No compalints here smile

I know you believe they are meaningless but I will be praying for your mother and peace for your family.

5. mel22 profile image61
    mel22posted 4 years ago

ok, i get what you're saying.. A definciency not from lack of getting enough but that you're not able to  procees... thats different. however by knowing your blood type and eliminating those foods that tend to agglutinate blood you could eliminate a partial amount of the clotting that is not due to the c deficiency... i'm not pretending this book will cure you ,but it does make a big differnce ... at least for me.

... Even if you don't read the book, do you happen to know your blood type ?