jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Should nuns take birth control pills? What study says

1. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

December 8, 2011 3:00 PM

Should nuns take birth control pills? What study says

By Ryan Jaslow
    CBS) Should nuns take birth control pills? A controversial new commentary published Thursday suggests nuns who take birth control will significantly cut their risk of getting cancer.

Why nuns? Nuns are nulliparous, meaning they don't have children. Women who don't have children undergo more menstrual cycles than women who have kids, because they don't get pregnant or breastfeed. More cycles mean more cancer risk, according to the study authors.

The authors said the nearly 95,000 nuns worldwide "pay a terrible price for their chastity," because they face a greater risk for breast, ovarian, and uterine cancers.

"If the Catholic Church could make the oral contraceptive pill freely available to all its nuns, it would reduce the risk of those accursed pests, cancer of the ovary and uterus, and give nuns' plight the recognition it deserves," study authors Dr. Kara Britt of Monash University and Professor Roger Short of the University of Melbourne in Australia, said in a written statement.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162- … tudy-says/
    when I saw this title ,my first thought was,"Are the priests going after the nuns, now?"..Ok, that was a bit smart ass of me..but after reading it, it made some sense as the celibacy of the nuns and how it affects their health

1. Moon Daisy profile image82
      Moon Daisyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This just sounds a bit sensationalist to me.  Why nuns in particular?  To make a good headline perhaps?  Many women don't have children, not just nuns, so should all women without children take the pill? 

Also, I believe that while OC does reduce the chances of getting ovarian and endometrial cancers, it can increase the risks of breast cancer and cervical cancer.  There is also an increased risk of blood clots.  So this advice could be kind of dangerous.

2. Cagsil profile image82
    Cagsilposted 4 years ago

3. WriteAngled profile image92
    WriteAngledposted 4 years ago

In my student days, many decades ago, I was taught by our carcinogenicity lecturer that nuns had a higher risk of breast cancer but lower risk of cervical cancer.

In those days at least, it was believed the breast cancer risk increases in women who do not have their first child by the age of 30 (I took care to get mine in when I was 29 LOL!)

The reduced risk of cervical cancer was thought due to the fact that cervical cancer is at least partially linked with exposure to human papilloma virus. Women with fewer sexual partners have less chance of infection, while nuns theoretically have no chance of infection.

1. IzzyM profile image84
      IzzyMposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes that's similar to what I was taught, and that is that girls who start sexual activity young are more like to get cervical cancer and that nuns, who supposedly never have sex,  don't get it.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
        Druid Dudeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Immaculate Misconception?