jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Over the Counter Psychedelic-Dissociative Drugs

1. rbe0 profile image60
    rbe0posted 4 years ago

OTC is an acronym for Over The Counter. Dextromethorphan is a highly abused OTC medication. It is found in Nyquil, Robitussin, Coricidin Cough and Cold ("Triple C"s among friends).

I recently drank some nyquil (barely 2 recommended dosages in the span of 5 hours between). I have felt "off" mentally for going on 24 hours now, as a result of the nyquil. The main ingredient in Nyquil is Dextromethorphan (DXM).

I cannot even think straight and I am having trouble putting ideas together. You can probably tell from the poor construction of this thread. I find it very hard to stay focused. I have even become quite angry about 3 times today. Usually nothing can get me angry unless someone draws literal blood.

I usually never have any of the above problems. I am usually quite calm and collected and contemplative and meaningful. But not any more...

How long is this horrible effect of the dextromethorphan supposed to last?
    I tried to read up online about how long it will take until this medicine will wear off.

Then I found this website... http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/

It has much information of the potential dangers of this drug. It even apparently causes brain damage in the form of Olney's Lesions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olney%27s_lesions).

Other drugs that are in the same classification as this drug include PCP (Causes intense hallucinations and violence in users), Ketamine (animal tranquilizer).

Why are we using a class of drugs proven to cause violence and hallucinations at the same time? Why is this legal OTC? Do you think it should be removed from shelfs?? After taking this small dose of nyquil, I really think this stuff should not be available on shelves.

1. marriedwithdebt profile image89
      marriedwithdebtposted 4 years ago in reply to this

A "low recreational dose" is considered 100mg-200mg of DXM. NyQuil recommends dosage containing 30mg every 6 hours. Maybe you are just extra sensitive to it, since it seems that you are still well below a "low recreational dose."

So you are saying you abused the warnings and took more than recommended? And because you did this, something should be banned?

I think a better question is: why do we have to have new laws every time one person messes up?

It seems that too often we allow the indiscretions of a few to make life more difficult for the rest of us.

1. rbe0 profile image60
        rbe0posted 4 years ago in reply to this

No I didn't abuse the Warnings, I just didn't think they were important enough to bother reading.

Lesson learned i guess.

Goddamn do i have a horrible hang over from that shitty NyQuil.

2. rbe0 profile image60
        rbe0posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Maybe if they were more DIRECT with their WARNING LABELS an idiot like me wouldn't have poisoned himself...