jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Needle Phobia

1. 0
    Muldaniaposted 4 years ago

Does anyone have a terrible fear of needles, or have had in the past and managed to overcome it?  If so, how have you done this?

1. Nell Rose profile image91
      Nell Roseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hi, my brother is terrified of needles! so I taught him to focus on something in the room. a calender is great, because he starts counting the first day and so on, and by the time he gets to the middle its all over and done with! learning to deep breath is another way, just concentrate on your breathing and don't look. I remember reading somewhere that if you look when the needle goes in it hurts more because you are using two parts of your sensory brain instead of one, clever eh?

2. 0
    Muldaniaposted 4 years ago

I even dislike the word needle, because of the image it produces in my mind.  I shall have to try your suggestion to look at something.

3. 0
    The Writers Dogposted 4 years ago

I have been terrified of needles since I was about 4 or 5 years old. For some reason I had to have bloods done. I can still remember sitting on Mum's lap while the pathologists kept trying for and missing the veins in my arm.

These days I need regular blood work done due to a medical condition. The weird thing is that I can sit there and look at the blood once it is in the test tube in front of me. It is just the actual needle part that is a problem.

1. 0
      Muldaniaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It is a mixture of both for me.  I have always felt ill though when it comes to veins.  Even as a child, I couldn't stand having my pulse taken from my wrist.  I almost past out in a lesson at school, when we had to take each other's pulse.  I don't know why, and have only ever met one other person who felt the same.