jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Do you know anybody with diabete?

1. polyglot profile image60
    polyglotposted 5 years ago

My father has diabetes and despite this fact it seems as if he isn't trying all that hard to be any healthier. Whenever I tell him that he should take a fish oil pill he says that he already took two earlier in the day. Does anybody else's parents, spouses, etc. behave similarly. Also, do you  have any tips on how I can make my dad WANT to be healthier?

1. Dale Hyde profile image85
      Dale Hydeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

As a diabetic myself, I have found that supervision of a medical professional is needed for guidance and monitoring.  Along with that, diet is very important.  Recently my doctor took me off my medication as my glucose levels were going too low.  The doctor felt that my diet allowed for this.  I still test approximately two or three times a week at different times of the day to make sure I am not spiking again, but so far, things have been cool.  One thing my doctor did tell was to keep medication on hand in case my glucose shot up and such due to a very heavy meal or attending a party. 

Not sure how you can help a person who does not want to actually listen to your advice.  Once way, in regards to medication, is to give the medication to them yourself when due and monitor the actual taking of the medication.

2. polyglot profile image60

It's not that he doesn't want to be healthy because he is much much healthier than he used to be. It just doesn't seem like he has fully gotten over the threshold into healthiness if that makes any sense.

Not quite sure I understand, polyglot.  Are you saying even though he is healthier, that he does not acknowledge the fact that he is now healthier himself, therefore moving forward with his life?

3. polyglot profile image60

No, I think it's mostly that even though he is healthier now, he is still somewhat in denial.

I was sort of implying that, polyglot. How to get him past that stage may be to have someone else talk to him, outside of just yourself.   I take it that he is medically supervised?  If so, I would explain your concern to his health care provider via phone or email, so that on his next visit, this person could ease into the subject with your father and create a discussion.

4. polyglot profile image60

Thank you very much for your advice smile

You are most welcome, polyglot. smile

working