I want to quit smoking.

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (48 posts)
  1. ajayshah2005 profile image47
    ajayshah2005posted 12 years ago

Please help.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I switched from cigs to e-cigarettes in mid November and feel a lot better for it. It's also much cheaper and hasn't bothered me at all. Couldn't have done it without the e-cigarette though.

1. Cardisa profile image87
        Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hollie what are e-cigarettes?

They are literally electronic cigarettes. They look like cigarettes, and they have cartridges that contain nicotine. You inhale them, and it's just like smoking but the smoke is vapour, made from water. They do not contain all the harmful toxins that are contained in cigarettes, though. Only nicotine, which is addictive but not harmful in itself (according to studies.) They don't smell, or lingor in the air like conventional tobacco products and they are so much cheaper. You can also wean yourself off of the nicotine in stages.

Thanks for telling me. I had no idea.

2. Debby Bruck profile image65
          Debby Bruckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

E-Cigarette Quit Smoking Trends Electric Smokeless Tobacco & Quitting With Homeopathy & No Tobacco Day

I don't think I'm allowed to post the hub link

2. ajayshah2005 profile image47
        ajayshah2005posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for suggestion.

2. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

JUST STOP... That's what I did...
      Use your mind to endorse your willpower.. End of Story! smile

3. Roy Patterson profile image61
      Roy Pattersonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Any person that really want to quit smoking, here in Arizona can do it for free. We have the "Arizona Smokers Help Line". Everything there is free  including some of the expensive drugs used to help people stop smoking.
      No Excuses, here in Arizona!

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
        mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think it is great when these things are offered free, (they are here in Guernsey too, inc Champix, Zyban, patches, helplines etc). I still didn't find any of these things worked for me, free or not though. This is why I did the Nicotine Solutions course. Yes it did cost money, but not a great deal, and it does not work at all like conventional Quitlines, Helplines etc, (otherwise no-one would use it.) The free drugs, helplines etc do work for a lot of people, but they also tend to have a high long term failure rate, (people returning to smoking in the first few years). The course I did has been around some years now, and has over a 96% long term success rate. This is why I always spread the word about Nicotine Solutions as I meet so many other people who have tried everything else and still can't seem to stop smoking.

4. WD Curry 111 profile image57
      WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I quit smoking cigarettes. It is not easy. I would not be opposed to hypnosis, patches, psychotherapy, fake cigarettes or anything that can help you overcome one of the most insidious addictions known to man.

I will share my experience. I got started at KMI. In those days, in Kentucky, cigs were 23 cents a pack. A store would give you a 2 cent box of matches, so you would get no change back for your quarter.

When I finally determined to quit, it was not mind over matter. It didn't take long to realize that I didn't have enough mind. Also, nicotine addiction is only a huge part of the problem. Somehow, it goes deeper and gets bigger.

After awhile, when my friends saw me coming, they would cover their packs and say,"No! You can't borrow a cigarette!"
      I quit buying . . . not smoking.

One day a weird evangelist came on the TV on a channel that rarely came in. He claimed to be "anointed" to deliver people from smoking. He suggested to ."Put your hand on the screen as a point of contact."

I did. I forgot about the incident. In the dead of the South Carolina winter, I went out surfing in some 8 foot waves, rarity on that coast. I stayed out in the freezing water too long and got sick. I kept on smoking. My condition worsened. I developed severe bronchitis. I could not even get smoke into my lungs at all. I stayed congested for about four months. I kept trying to smoke, but i could not draw the goods past my throat without gagging and coughing uncontrollably.

It dawned on me, "I have gone so long without smoking, that for all practical purposes, I have quit smoking.'"

I never picked up another cigarette, until several years later. The next one made me so sick, that it was never a temptation agin. My body rebelled.

Once, I dreamed that I had smoked a cigarette on a train. I woke up in the middle of the night, I could taste Marlboro smoke in my mouth. I was disgusted with myself. I had smoked on the train! Hey, wait! I was not on a train! It was a dream.

Cigarettes go deep. Somehow, you have to come up from under them. It is different for everyone, It is hard to do alone. I'll pray. Please join me.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Well, then make up your mind about it.

Mind over matter in this case is the only real solution. It doesn't matter how long you have been smoking. If you want to quit then YOU have to make up your mind that that's what you truly want.

You will be tempted, get cravings, but in the end, it boils down to choice. You either choose to quit and stand behind that decision, or you choose to fail and continue smoking.

Cags, which one of us are you speaking to here, the OP?

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well Hollie, considering my post is before yours, then I cannot possibly be talking to you? lol lol

They were at the same time, 4 hours ago, honestly. lol Seriously though, I've just lowered myself onto the lowest levels of nicotine of e-cigarette. Next stop, non at all....So, if I become this mad woman from hell...you'll understand why. lol

I'm not worried. lol

Yes, you are safely several thousand miles away from my withdrawals. lol

cool See why I'm not worried. lol lol

Good luck Hollie. I hope you do okay with stopping completely.

Thank you, Cardisa. big_smile

2. ajayshah2005 profile image47

Thanks.

3. WD Curry 111 profile image57
      WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

What a big help. Not!

3. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years ago

I stopped 3 years ago using the Nicotine Solutions Course (no artificial support such as patches, drugs, etc, and no hypnosis). All I can say is that it is too much to go into here, but I have hubbed on it in several hubs you will find on my hub list.
    Apart from this though, a good friend of ours in his 40's has just been told he has throat Cancer (literally under a week ago). He stopped smoking immediately, and right now he is still undergoing tests to see how far the Cancer has progressed. I guess that throat Cancer was the 'wake up call' he needed, I just hope it isn't too little, too late.

Cheers Cags ,that is probably the most relevant one of all, and it really shows how the course works  big_smile

4. AliceFSpencer profile image59
    AliceFSpencerposted 12 years ago

It's more of a mental thing for me the patches and the gum made me sick. I had to find other ways to get stress and being bored under control. You have to want to stop because your life depends on it smile

The course I did totally worked on the 'mental thing' as opposed to the physical. It was incredibly well thought out, and has a huge long term success rate (many other 'stop smoking' methods are known to work in the short term, but a high percentage of the people return to smoking, this course does not have that problem for most people). I tried literally every other way to stop that you can imagine, and this was the only method that actually worked for me long term. Before stopping I was on between 20-30 cigs a day... yikes, horrible when I think of it now.

5. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

I know someone, who tried for years to stop smoking, but nothing they tried worked.  Then they had acupuncture, in which two needles were inserted, one in each ear, and left, and whenever he felt the need to smoke, he had to turn the needle slowly.  From that day, he never wanted another cigarette, and years later, he is still a non-smoker.

Yup, tried that, lasted about a week and went back to smoking, although not everyone will have the same experience I am sure. I can add to the failures by including the Alan Carr book, hypnosis (in person and via CD), Champix, Zyban, patches, inhalators, local Quitline (who expelled my Husband and I LOL), etc.

I tried to smoke when I was much younger and thought it was cool and totally forgot I was supposed to be a smoker. I keep forgetting to light up. When I did find my cigarettes I was baffled as to why I had them.

LOL, well that sounds like a good result to me smile

lol My mom, all my brothers, father and grandparents were smokers. I just didn't get the bug.

Well done, glad you didn't. I was the opposite, all my family were non-smokers, and I ended up a smoker from 18 onwards. Like I said though, I did manage to stop three years ago thanks to Lela Bryan and her Nicotine Solutions Course, (otherwise I reckon I would still be smoking now). The great thing was it was mainly done via Skype phone-calls, so even though I am in the British Channel Islands, and Lela was in San Francisco, she could run a weekly session for people all over the world at mutually convenient times for their timezones. Brilliant! big_smile

Wow that was inspiring. I didn't know that there was a course like that and you did it from so many miles away. That's really something.

1. profile image0
                  Muldaniaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I grew up hating smoke, because my dad always had a pipe smoking away, and it was like having a constant fog in the room, making my eyes water.  And the room had to be painted every year, because of the yellow stains everywhere.  Consequently, I have never even thought of smoking.

Thanks to all for the responses.

6. janesix profile image61
    janesixposted 12 years ago

If I can quit, anyone can.

It was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be. I used nicotine gum for a few days. It didn't really help.

It's the mental part that's hard. Getting past cravings is easy, they only last a few minutes.

It's not an addiction thing. It's a willpower thing.

7. Pascale1973 profile image47
    Pascale1973posted 12 years ago

I want to also, how about we join and do it together...

Thanks for the positive response Pascale1973. Let us set a date of quitting.

8. rLcasaLme profile image69
    rLcasaLmeposted 12 years ago

I've told my story on my latest hub. I stopped smoking abruptly. I believe anyone can do it if his wanting to stop is stronger than his craving.

9. ALUR profile image60
    ALURposted 12 years ago

I just started after 20years(yes it took that long) to WANT to stop. The smell, my children's comments and a desperate need to regain my will is the catalyst. I haven't tried drugs but I am steadily reducing. That alone make me feel worthy of being able to stop. I will turn to aids when I need to.

THe point is to WANT.

10. ajayshah2005 profile image47

Thanks for responses. My appeal to all the hubbers who smoke: let us fix a date of quitting and quit smoking together.

11. Pascale1973 profile image47
    Pascale1973posted 12 years ago

I am scheduled for a minor surgery on february 7 th my goal was to be quit by than, how quickly can you start.  How about, january 30, since 30 rhymes with dirty and its such a dirty habbit, I thought it would be fitting...what do you think?

Thanks Pascale1973 for the response. For me January 30  will be better than February 7 as i want to quit as soon as possible but i have heard that "stay quitting is also a difficult task", so let us try a date that will give enough time to  quit and stay quit to our brain and body both.

For me both dates are OK, thinking about your surgery, you suggest the date of quitting and i will follow.

Let us appeal together to all hubbers those who smoke and want to quit....

12. seanorjohn profile image71
    seanorjohnposted 12 years ago

I can't believe I have now managed over 20 days without a real cigarette. I was smoking 20-30 a day and can't believe how easy it was to switch to electronic cigs. Doesn't feel like I have even given up. The experience is so realistic. Sometimes I reach for an ashtray or lighter. Still addicted to nicotine but the savings and health benefits are enormous.

All other methods had failed for me. I feel great going into a shop and just buying a newspaper and not having to buy cigs as well. Best of luck.

13. DJ Funktual profile image76
    DJ Funktualposted 12 years ago

The thing that got me through quitting was pretty simple.  I held one cigarette in my hand between three fingers.  Said to myself, is this little thing that I can break so easily stronger than I am????  Then I put that cigarette in a box loose.  Said to myself, if you weaker than you go to the box and smoke that stale nasty thing.  Never did.  Still have it to this day......14 years later!

14. ajayshah2005 profile image47

Thanks.

15. ajayshah2005 profile image47

Only four days left to quit smoking.......

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)