jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)

preventative oral care surely extend your life

1. Dr. Haddox profile image69
    Dr. Haddoxposted 5 years ago

If one is serious about wanting to live for at least 100 years, then good dental care (and that means taking good care of all mouth tissues, including teeth, gums,tongue, and other soft-tissues that you hardly ever notice) to prevent systemic diseases. What do you think about this, and do you care to share with others? There is a forum,a whole dental section, but I feel that there is a need to discuss this situation outside of dental because it impacts all of us, not just the dental section. Let's talk about this and share. Ask questions. But not only that, share with us whatever you know about this subject.
    Regards, Dr. Haddox

2. Dr. Haddox profile image69

I forgot to give you some pictures to look at. Most of these pictures are excellent examples of good skin, hair and oral health. Dr. Haddox

3. Dr. Haddox profile image69

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6058806_f248.jpg

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6058809_f248.jpg

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6058813_f248.jpg

I had a little trouble uploading these photos so I had to try twice. You may have noticed that I speak of hair care, skin care, and oral care (teeth, gums, tongue and other mouth tissues, all in the same breath. This is because, when I examine patients, as is the tradition, I start at the top of the head and move down to the feet. The head and neck exam starts by observation of the head and neck and then palpation of the head (eyes, ears, nose and throat), and of course the skin. One cannot overlook the mouth, teeth and associated tissues because the general, overall health of a patient can be noted by careful examination. Therefore, everyone should be aware of good hair, skin, and mouth care. Dr. Haddox

4. IJR112 profile image60
    IJR112posted 5 years ago

That's an interesting concept.  I don't think I've ever heard anyone associate good dental care with longevity.  I guess it couldn't hurt.

Dr. Haddoxposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The research report that I read associated the increase with longevity with increased health of blood vessels. You can go there (to the cardiovascular literature) for a good review of this.
      Dr. Haddox

5. Dear Josie profile image61
    Dear Josieposted 5 years ago

I totally agree with you. My Father was a Dentist and so is my sister. Teeth are very serious, starting brushing earlier, does help you live longer!

Thank you for your kind support, Dear Josia. And the studies that I read recommended regular flossing.
      Regards,
      Dr. Haddox

6. Greek One profile image79
    Greek Oneposted 5 years ago

NOTHING IN THE WORLD BEATS ORAL CARE!

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Especially when you get it from someone talented.

wink

Edit:  I meant professional.  Um, sure I did.

2. Dr. Haddox profile image69

Very good, Greek One. Dr. Haddox

7. Pcunix profile image88
    Pcunixposted 5 years ago

Absolutely.

Unfortunately, most insurance plans don't cover this.  Medicare covers almost nothing in your mouth.

I would say dental care is at least as important as exercise and for some might even be more important - many insurance plans will offset gym membership, but your teeth can rot away..

Great observations, Pcunix. I fully agree with you. "What a Pity, and shame on weak insurance plans. Dr. Haddox

1. Pcunix profile image88
        Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

We have a neighbor who just finished up an incredible $30,000 batch of implants and crowns.

My wife looked into Dental insurance because of that.  A typical plan runs about $1,200 a year but has a cap of $1,500 a year in payouts, in addition to all sorts of exclusions.   Most years you might just have a few cleanings, so you'd have paid them much, much more than you gave them.  Once in a while you might unluckily have more expense, some of which they might cover and pay 80% of.  If that 80% adds up to $1,500, they won't pay any more. 

Wat's the point of having it?  Unless your employer is paying for it, it's a total rip-off.

She's still looking, but I don't think we'll be buying.

8. EuroNinila profile image87
    EuroNinilaposted 5 years ago

Very true!  The denist actually can tell if there is something wrong with you in your head area first before a general doctor can!

working