How did you learn to live with IBS?

1. 0
    Emily Sparksposted 4 years ago

I have lived with it for about 2 years now.  Have you found that it can get worse?  What are your main symptoms?  Have you found ways to lessen it?

1. Shanna11 profile image91
      Shanna11posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I've had it for about five years, I think. It's picked up a lot and gotten worse the older I've gotten, and it's stress related for me mostly, and partially diet related. I find that eating large quantities of fatty or greasy foods is irritating and that Fiber One bars or other fiber supplements help. (Word of caution with those though, build your fiber intake Very, Very gradually, or you will be in a world of hurt).

For some reason my IBS acts up usually in the middle of the night, and very occasionally in the morning and evenings. It's very painful for me and usually wakes me up. Bloating, severe stomach cramps, etc.  The worst episode was just a few weeks ago-- I woke up in severe stomach pain and could hardly get out of bed. I just ended up sleeping on the tile underneath my dorm sink because it was cold and I was in so much pain.

Later that morning I tried to take a shower and ended up passing out and slamming my shoulder and head into the tile. It really didn't help. If it gets any worse, I'm going to ask for medication. Also, I've heard dairy can be a huge IBS irritant, but it doesn't seem to be so for me.

1. 74
        Robertr04posted 4 years ago in reply to this

For myself I tried a high-fiber diet of plenty of fruits and vegetable,organic of course. The veg. I ate raw and cooked never over 130 degrees, after that you have cooked all the nutrients out of them. I also use a green drink which is 3 green veg. about a small handful and 1 pt of distilled water, blended for 2 min. This nourishes the blood stream and is the next best thing to having a blood transfusion without the worry of having infection or contmination.Its  also a oxygenator, poison antidote and a gentle flush to rid the body of poisons both internal and external. Make it fresh every 24 hrs. I also began eating my whole grains especially brown rice and legumes. I used supplemental fiber . Psyllium powder to regulate my bowel movements daily. I also used oat bran and ground flaxseeds alternately. I had to avoid animal fats, coffee ,carbonated drinks, caffeine, candy chocolate, all dairy products fried food,ice cream,junk food, anything with the additives mannitol and sorbitol, margarine butter, pastries, processed foods.sugar, and wheat bran wheat products,all these things contribute to mucus and prevent the intake of nutrients. I had already stopped using them so I was 1/2 way there. Also avoid alcohol and tobacco, these irritate the linings of the stomach and colon. Herbs I took were milk thistle extract, burdock root,and red clover.  Which are to clean the bloodstream and therefore the liver. When I would get an upset I would put veg. and nonacidic fruit thru a food processor or blender. Organic baby food proved to be good also. If you are on a soft diet I suggest some type of fiber and protein supplement. Chew your food well past that 32 times you hear about. Chew your juices also(swish them around] this allows your saliva to mix with your food or drink thouroughly for proper digestion. Don't drink 45 min. before a meal , don't drink during the meal, and not for 30-45 min. also for digestive reasons. This is what  I did and my problem has all but vanished.