jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Finding Resources

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image74
    schoolgirlforrealposted 5 years ago

As a mental health consumer I've been struggling my whole life to be productive. I've worked as a warm line counselor http://www.mhah.org/Programs/CE.html

and I keep looking for things I can do, especially now at this point in my life.

It's hard to find direction, often times like my social worker doesn't lead me to what I need.

How do you find what you want? Try try and try.

Do you have any input on sources for being productive, besides writing, ?

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago

...hmmmm....well, the social worker may/may not have experience with employment opportunities - opportunities that are 'outside of the box' of a consumer.  what about accessing an employment counsellor who does not necessarily focus on mental health clients...but all clients...and or seeking out various training opportunities.  i'm hoping that if you are accessing a disability pension of some type or another, that you may have access to groups that train folks for work/volunteer in various settings (at no cost to you).  You may find something that sparks your interest for the long term.  Sometimes those folks who specialize in training also specialize in rehab programs and thus, will guide you and support you in eventually securing that volunteer or paid work.  There should/may be many opportunities to work within the mental health system as well - like helping people navigate the system.

schoolgirlforrealposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, yes I do have a worker, and we are trying to find something suitable. I've been to some college and held many jobs in the past including the US Postal service which I loved. thanks smile

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago in reply to this

you'll come across something...especially since you are actively seeking...Post Office?...wouldn't that be great to get work there since you loved it.........  smile

yeah smile they are hiring again, i'll keep trying, bound to find something!

3. ppc-ppcmanagement profile image57
    ppc-ppcmanagementposted 5 years ago

That's true social worker do not have any experience of any employments. But they have a good knowledge. They can achieve good opportunities also.

Alot of social workers are not good at helping, or they can't or don't find you what you need, but you keep trying.

working