No smoking , I think I've cracked it

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)
  1. seanorjohn profile image71
    seanorjohnposted 12 years ago

37 days without a real cig. Yes, I know I am cheating. I am on electronic cigs. But, hey, instead of taking in up to 1000 chemicals, I am just addicted to nicotine
    Family delighted. Not polluting the home. Feeling fitter. Living healthier. Saving money. Very excited.

Tried so many times to give up and felt such a loser and failure. This is such an amazing experience. I will never buy cigs again.

But, I know I must stop the electronic ones. But for me , the pressure is off.

Good luck to all who are trying to quit.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

congratulations seanorjohn, as not everyone can say that.  I had one person that i used to work with always claimed he'd quit, but he always went back to smoking.  i don't know what became of him, as i haven't seen him in years, but i know from talking to him, it's a very hard habit to break.  Therefore, i think you should be proud of yourself, as not everyone can quit like you have. smile

seanorjohnposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Stevenix, I will never go back to real cigs. They are a killer. I just did not know how to stop until I came across electronic cigs. Now my challenge is to quit these electronic things. But it is for money reasons. I know I am no longer slowly killing myself with cancerous stuff.

Thanks for your support. Sean

1. mega1 profile image79
          mega1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey, that's really, really, good news!  and congrats!  If the main reason is the money, then you have probably hit the happy formula that will keep you off em.  Now, remember, the euphoria is going to wear off a little, and people who are giving you strokes now are going to get used to you not smoking cigs and eventually not smoking at all - so be aware that you will have to finally pull the strength to stay a non-smoker out of your new self image as a non smoker.  Believe me, I know it can be done.  For me I just keep telling myself that it is not cut in stone and I may have to have one every now and then- because if I say I can't at all I will rebel right away.  Now this latest quitting purge has lasted over a year with only twice caving in - and then only slightly for an hour and then it was really easy not to start again, because it was so nasty!  I see myself as a non-smoker finally, after about 40 years of smoking on and off.  Now, no one says anything about it and when I get a craving I know I COULD, but I don't.  I even have emergency cigs - but they are probably stale by now.  Now I do feel healthier, but I have a better opinion of myself!  really really worth all the struggling.  Good for you!

Thanks Mega, and well done to you for giving up. I did run out of electronic cigs for one day and I bought some roll up tobaccco. I always hated buying this stuff and only did because it was cheaper than packs of cigs. So I think I have got through this psychological thing. If I am desperate and have run out of electronics, I will buy roll ups but not real cigs. I love going to the local shop and only spending 20 pence for a newspaper. I used to have to hand over a £10 NOTE. bUT IT IS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY>  Caps mistake  I just was scared to take the drugs to get me free from cigs. Heard about people dying. Knew I did not have the willpower.Failed every time with othjer methods. Got into bad moods and felt sick with all sorts when I tried to give up. So I am truly elated that I know I can stop smoking the deadly cigs.

Thanks again for your support.

1. mega1 profile image79
              mega1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

My brother saved the money he would have spent on cigs in a big jar on top of his fridge he filled it up several times and  when he cashed it all in it was enough to help his daughter buy her first car!  And that was before they got to costing over $5 a pack. 

I just know that I never quit, really, until I got all the nicotine craving out of my system - and that took months.  I still occasionally (just last night) crave to go smoke one, and I could because I have them, but I don't because usually its just too much trouble to dig them out of the old suitcase in the back of my closet (another good tip - put them somewhere it takes several minutes to get to them)  I am fascinated with other people's quitting processes because its not just cigs with me (but we won't get into that - not drugs or sex lol, more like behaviors)

2. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 12 years ago

Congrats! That's a big deal.  My ex-husband quit smoking by switching to e-cigs.  He's talked to a lot of people that were able to lower the nicotine in their e-juice until they were able to quit completely.  Like you said, even with what you've done so far, you've still gotten rid of all the tar and horrible chemicals/additives.

Thanks KC, I am so surprised that I took to this. Now I know I can get rid of this disgusting habit. Hey, I could never say such things. Hope I don't turn in to a fanatical non smoker. ( don't know how to put that smiley face up)
      Thanks for your support.

3. Tams R profile image82
    Tams Rposted 12 years ago

Congratulations! Quitting smoking is no small feat and you should be very proud of yourself. Just think in a few short years you'll be good as new and your lungs will like you never smoked. By then you could have saved all your previous money spent smoking to buy a car! Bravo!

Thanks Tams, it has made a difference to the whole family because I smoked in the house  at nighttime. Hope you have finally kicked the habit. I read on your hub how you once gave up for 5 years.So, you know you can do it. I am delighted to be over 5 weeks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)