jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (23 posts)

What's your take on the e Cigarette?

1. romper20 profile image87
    romper20posted 5 years ago

Anyone ever used an electronic cigarette? If so what are some of the advantages over regulars cigs, if any?
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6147529_f248.jpg

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image75
      schoolgirlforrealposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I tried it and it didn't satisfy me compared to a regular cigarette. I still have the cartridges I didn't use. It was like inhaling air, which has nicotene but not enough nicotene like a cigarette. I think chewing nicorette gum was more satisfying. If you need oral stimulation, I like the lollipops. lol just kidding. But people who smoke are used to having it in their mouth.
      So, yeah, I didn't like it. It made me go back to regular cigarette. And I heard from hearsay that on the news or somewhere that it's actually bad for your lungs somehow. that's all I know.

2. Barbara Kay profile image85
      Barbara Kayposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If you search this subject online, it says the e-cigarettes contain chemicals other than nicotine that are dangerous. It has me a little scared to try them.

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

I've seen positive posts on the subject. I'm even vaguely starting to consider it.

3. ptosis profile image81
    ptosisposted 5 years ago

I bought sample from Hong Kong for $5 free shipping - then tried to charge me $96 out of UK and had to change my credit card. The brand was 'Raven' and it is not a way to quit smokingl. Took 2 puffs and that was it. Yeach.

Sitting in the closet and because it's a  controlled substance like alcohol I can't sell it to somebody else on online.

4. mistyhorizon2003 profile image91
    mistyhorizon2003posted 5 years ago

Like any artificial inhalator, the problem is that 1) it still keeps you addicted to nicotine, and 2) you fail to break the habit of the 'hand to mouth' action. Result, high failure rate long term. I tried virtually everything out there to stop smoking, and have now been stopped for 3 years, no drugs, no patches, no hypnosis etc. Too many gimmicks out there designed simply to make lots of money out of other's addictions. I am just grateful I found a simple and inexpensive course that stopped me smoking with a simple change in my habits and way of thinking. Great stuff smile

romper20posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree and it's interesting because there is NO combustion there is no tar, ash, or chemicals. I think the FDA's argument has more to do with the tax money they get from the cigarette industries big_smile

2. Barbara Kay profile image85
      Barbara Kayposted 5 years ago in reply to this

misty, What was the course?

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image91
        mistyhorizon2003posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I hubbed about it Barbara, the course it called Nicotine Solutions and the website is http://www.nicotinesolutions.com/   I am actually the first person who appears in the introduction video of the success stories when you arrive on her site.

5. ALUR profile image67
    ALURposted 5 years ago

Fighting hard to quit. I made the decision to taper off since I'd lost the control to even know how many I had each day. It's a journey when it comes to addiction as well as change.

6. Savva Pelou profile image72
    Savva Pelouposted 5 years ago

i have now been smoking e cigarettes for 4 weeks and have not looked back!

7. seanorjohn profile image80
    seanorjohnposted 5 years ago

I have been using electronic cigs for 42 days. It is saving me a fortune and although I am still addicted to nicotine it does not have the hundreds of harmful chemicals of real cigs. I use a blue tip in public and always ask in pubs before I use them.
    I am truly amazed that I was able to switch so easily. I will never go back to real cigs. Hopefully as more companies make them the price will go down and down. Real cigs will continue to rise in price  - that's for sure.

Thank you everyone for the insightful comments. I am going to buy an electronic cigarette this weekend and see how it goes. I remember my Aunt and Uncle both have them already so i might test out whatever brand they have! Thanks

8. profile image60
    Canuck57posted 5 years ago

I quit smoking on February 27, 1985, and have never looked back.  However, I met someone recently who was smoking an electronic cigarette and I asked him if I could give it a try.  I was stunned...I felt the same sensation from it than if I was smoking an actual cigarette. 

These cigarettes come in varying strengths (from extra mild to something equivalent to an unfiltered Camel), and you can purchase liquid nicotine to add to your filter (at about $30 every 3 months).  In short, I could definitely give these a try because you do not get any of the harmful effects that you would get from real cigarettes, and these devices could very well eventually get you off the habit.

Thank you for sharing Canuck i can relate.

9. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 5 years ago

I heard one of those blew up in the guys face yikes wonder what brand that one ws hmm

That is a good question. I hope it not The Safe Cig! Lol that is my favorite electronic cigarette brand. They have the most competitive products imo. There are several of other great vendors but i bet which ever brand it was took a hit because of the explosion in his MOUTH!! Fail lol

10. sustainyourmind profile image62
    sustainyourmindposted 5 years ago

Yeah I have tried them.  They have propylene glycol which is pretty much antifreeze.  Better off smoking natural american spirit.  Those are the only true additive and chemical free cigs.  You still get the tar and nicotine, but at least there is no coolant and/or 2,000 other chemicals in traditional cigs.

I don't like the taste of American Spirit to much to be honest..

2. TLMinut profile image60
      TLMinutposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Propylene glycol is NOT antifreeze - it's IN antifreeze. It's also in shampoo and many foods. There are different concentrations in many things, FDA approved for a lot of things. There's another glycol in some e-cigarettes instead, a vegetable-based one.

I've been vaping e-cigs for nine months now and have lowered my nicotine level finally. I'm seeing the possibility of giving up even these now though I never planned or wanted to quit smoking. I vape SafeCigs and have also tried using a liquid nicotine to refill. I think I may just quit altogether though. Never expected to quit but for me it's working. Also, I never got into the whole modifying part of it (like the one that blew up in that guy's mouth); there's a whole 'culture', all these people that love the experimenting with different batteries, nicotine flavors, strengths, sizes...I like the easy way of screwing a cartridge onto a battery and "smoking" without smoking.

If you try them, you'll probably want American-made if you're in the States, free shipping and no safety concern confiscations at the border.

11. mistyhorizon2003 profile image91
    mistyhorizon2003posted 5 years ago

This hub I just discovered is an eye opener as to the dangers of e cigarettes.

http://robie2.hubpages.com/hub/Why-Elec … ooking-for

Misty thank you for that! I found one by Appealing Smokes which seems to be doing the job! I am loving it so far big_smile

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image91
        mistyhorizon2003posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I doubt you will find this stops the 'hand to mouth action' or the 'inhaling' action. You will enjoy the e-cigarette you have found, but it will only continue the habit sadly. I hope you read the hub I posted by robie2, it shows many reasons not to fall into the e-cigarette trap and think it is a solution.

Good Luck.

working