jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Is the blunt ammendment a good thing?

1. 0
    idratherbeposted 4 years ago

Let's look at this, with the follow the money mentality. They say an employer should be able, because of religeous beliefs, decide if women should get birth control pills under their health insurance plans. First of all, should Men decide what's good or bad for women? Second, these business owner's need to think long and hard about implimenting this decision. If an employer pays a hundred dollars a month for birth control pills how will that impact the health plan costs? Now consider the cost to the company for more births. Seems to me, with the cost of a birth, the insurance policies will sky rocket! Sky rocket perhaps, where even the employer can't afford insurance for his family. So who wins with this ammendment? The insurance companies! They will have a reason to RAISE THE COST OF YOUR HEALTH CARE PLAN!And who perhaps makes money off this? The average worker? No. But perhaps the politicians working so hard to pass this ammendment, under the pretense of religeous beliefs!

1. 0
      idratherbeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Surprised not a one respone?

2. ChristinS profile image93
      ChristinSposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'll respond - I couldn't agree more with you on this.  Certain politicians will use and abuse religion - and it's always with an ulterior motive. 

As for insurance companies - they will always find a reason to raise rates as long as they can get away with it.  This is just making it easier for them.

2. TheMagician profile image88
    TheMagicianposted 4 years ago

Politics and religion seriously shouldn't be mixed together. I will never understand why people even come up with such horrible ideas and "amendments". My goodness.

3. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

I like this topic and no, the Blunt amendment is a travesty. Or was a travesty. It got defeated.
    By the same logic, Mormon employers could refuse to provide health care insurance if the plan pays for alcohol and drug rehab.
    I mean, we are going backwards here...

But speaking of the money argument. Why do we saddle our employers with paying for their employees' health insurance in the first place??
    How can that possibly be pro-business???
    When will the US become a truly civilized country and provide healthcare to her citizens as a matter of course? It's a basic human necessity and should NOT be tied to employment status. Ever.