jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)

Should junk food be regulated?

1. NJ Blake profile image60
    NJ Blakeposted 4 years ago

Where does personal responsibility begin? The news is full of talk about government regulation and/or intervention - not surprising since it's an election year, but where should the line be drawn? Tobacco, alcohol, recreational drugs and birth control are all subject to some kind of regulation due to the health hazards involved. Obesity is considered a serious health problem, should fast food be outlawed?

1. Dale Hyde profile image87
      Dale Hydeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I would say not. Obesity can come from just "normal" foods, not just junk food. Even with junk food, the key word and action is "moderation", and you will be just fine.  Of course that applies pretty much to everything one may partake of in their lifetime. smile

2. fit2day profile image80
      fit2dayposted 4 years ago in reply to this

No, government regulation would make the problem worse. A bunch of politicians telling people to eat fat free pink slime and drink diet soda is the last thing we need. They suck at politics as it is, how much worse when they take control over telling us what we can and can't eat.

What the government should ban are the toxic things added to many of our foods, but instead they'd rather police the public and keep money flowing to big corporations.

Okay, I'm stepping off of my soap box before I get mad.

2. Ciel Clark profile image81
    Ciel Clarkposted 4 years ago

I like the system they have in England for processed foods:  Packages have a red, yellow or green symbol displayed.  Red is a warning for eat only occasionally, and green means healthy.  The symbols are easily seen and mean less label reading.

3. NJ Blake profile image60

I agree, it can be hard to practice moderation but it's the best answer. The British system sounds like a good idea, it isn't intrusive but it's probably quite helpful.

4. Shanna11 profile image91
    Shanna11posted 4 years ago

They can regulate it for me, if for no one else. Personal autonomy ceases for me when it comes to junk food. sad

5. NJ Blake profile image60

Ah, I know the feeling - why can't celery taste better than chips..?

1. scruffy5533 profile image60
      scruffy5533posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Celery 'can' taste better than chips;)

6. Ciel Clark profile image81
    Ciel Clarkposted 4 years ago

It is always good to ask questions when we are worried about these issues.  Due to bad publicity, some of the fast food places have stopped the super-size meals and are trying to offer healthier choices.

7. Eric Newland profile image61
    Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago

I wouldn't particularly object to seeing it taken out of, say, public schools, those being state-run institutions.

Then again, maybe Zebra Cakes are healthier than some of the actual entrees they serve. Meh.

1. Ciel Clark profile image81
      Ciel Clarkposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think it is very good that they have taken out junk food vending machines and soda machines from many elementary and high schools

8. scruffy5533 profile image60
    scruffy5533posted 4 years ago

Taking junk food out of 'Vendos'where kids are makes sense, because kids (theoretically) don't know any better and just grab what they want. As far as adults are concerned, nosh away!! We should allow the market to sort this out by truly having a free market, i.e.- allowing insurance companies to charge more for 'Adult Onset'/behaviorally-mediated conditions (Type II diabetes, CAD, morbid obesity with resultant increase in asthma/allergies/etc.). When people feel the pain in their pocket, they change their behavior. Where does the regulation end? I mean, I lead a very healthy lifestyle, but I enjoy an occasional fat-laden meal at a gourmet French restaurant. Should I, and other responsible adults have to give that up because of some over-zealous 'Appointed' members of government? Outrageous.

working