jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Fat Makes New Brain cells says Scientists

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

Fatty Diet May Cause New Brain Cells to Sprout
    LiveScience.comBy Jennifer Welsh | LiveScience.com

Eating too many burgers and fries? Your brain might show the effects, if new mouse research holds true in humans. Researchers have discovered that a high-fat diet causes new brain cells to sprout in an area of the brain that seems to regulate eating.

Interestingly, if the researchers stopped new brain-cell growth, mice gained less weight and stayed more active, even while eating their "supersize me" diet.
    http://news.yahoo.com/fatty-diet-may-ca … 03894.html
    Surprisingly,mice fed a high fat diet,grew more brain cells than those on low fat diet.does it hold true for humans?

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image89
      Healthy Pursuitsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

How interesting! It would be great to see how those areas of new cells light up on an fMRI in overweight humans when eating.

2. fit2day profile image83
      fit2dayposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Low fat diets make people stupid. Fat is absolutely essential for proper brain function, vitamin absorption, and many other functions in the body. The problem we have is that we get our fat from bad sources, such as margarine, fast food, etc. Sad thing is many people are afraid of coconuts because they're high in saturated fat, but fail to realize the health benefits.

I'm not afraid of steak, real butter, or eggs and my body fat percentage stays below 10. I am; however, afraid of the crap served in fast-food restaurants and prefer my local market to any grocery store.

2. Diane Inside profile image88
    Diane Insideposted 4 years ago

Seems like this country would be full of geniuses.

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 4 years ago in reply to this

2. lobobrandon profile image81
      lobobrandonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It clearly states that the brain cells formed are to control diet and activity not intelligence lol

1. Eric Newland profile image60
        Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Well, obviously they're not doing a good job of that either.