jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Who in here takes medication to "control" a symptom?

1. Versatile Health profile image60
    Versatile Healthposted 4 years ago

Just curious because it seems that a lot of people are taking drugs (prescriptions) to "control" something these days. Do we need these medications? Are they really working? Has you doctor really dug deep enough? Let me know, I'm interested to hear you input.

1. hinazille profile image85
      hinazilleposted 4 years ago in reply to this

a lot of people take meds to control symptoms, which may at times be neccessary (as in the case of extreme pain for example), but in the majority of cases it is not needed...

the amount of people who come in to the pharmacy and ask for something to 'cure' the cold is ridiculously high... most dont even realise that cold remedies dont cure anything, they purely manage the symptoms..

2. cloverleaffarm profile image81
      cloverleaffarmposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Many people are taking prescription meds. And, yes, they only control symptoms. They don't "cure" anything.
      While some meds are needed, such as insulin, even that could be helped with diet and weight loss.
      It is truly a shame that big pharma has taken over where herbs and natural remedies work. They aren't the quick fix people want, but they heal on a cellular level, and truly "cure".
      You are right hinazille, cold remedies just help you along with symptoms, and can actually make the cold last longer...because it doesn't heal the cold.
      I could go on and on about herbs, but I will refrain. If anyone is interested, I have written several hubs about herbs, including one about me being addicted to being an herbalist...lol.
      Be Well everyone!

2. overcrok profile image80
    overcrokposted 4 years ago

Today medications have become a trend, I mean this under painkillers, anxiolytics even synthetic vitamins such as vitamin d that has to be prescribed in some forms. Even if we consider the color of this pills that undergo a placebo test, they seem to be really working. I personally admit to take a pill of xanax sometimes, and it really helps me falling asleep. It is somewhat a cultural meme, decades ago there were traditional folk methods, today the importance and professionality of pharmaceutical chemistry directly affects our decisions, even if there is some presence of placebo that needs to be understood as a natural gift of our body.

3. janesix profile image73
    janesixposted 4 years ago

Yes i take abilify as an antipsychotic. I think its just used for the placebo effect, because im not crazy

1. cloverleaffarm profile image81
      cloverleaffarmposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Then why would you take it?

2. janesix profile image73
      janesixposted 4 years ago in reply to this

For the sake of society

4. ALUR profile image68
    ALURposted 4 years ago

I tried natural remedies for my depression-albeit it provides much good writing, but to no avail. I agree
    about the "big brother" med scandal, but I had to resolve to the fact that chemically, a pill helps ease the moods I go through.

5. Arielqiao profile image60
    Arielqiaoposted 4 years ago

Besides medicine, I take exercise to control my asthma. We all know that taking medicine can control disease, but it is bad to our organs in the meantime. Therefore, control disease by only taking medicine is not appropriate.