jump to last post 1-31 of 31 discussions (52 posts)

I need your prayers.

1. Eric Newland profile image60
    Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago

A family member of mine has hit rock bottom after a long path of self destruction and addiction. I don't want to give details beyond that because I'm using my real name on this site, but they need healing badly right now, physical, mental, and emotional.

1. KiaKitori profile image80
      KiaKitoriposted 4 years ago in reply to this

May God and peace be with you and your family member. Keep strong and optimistic. Life always has at least one good part.

2. unknown spy profile image75
      unknown spyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

May God bless you and your family especially on this tough situation. You have all my prayers for your family to recover. Be strong and have faith that everything will be alright in the end.

3. lorlie6 profile image85
      lorlie6posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Eric, I am so very sorry to hear this.  Whoever it is, he/she has my prayers...! 
      Addiction always leads to some individual rock bottom, and if, as you've said, your family member is there, he/she will be forced-by his/her actual body or by his/her psychological state-to choose between life and death.  Do you know how he/she feels about this?  I understand-very, very well-this situation and know this choice must be made no matter how high he/she has been.  If he/she has become depressed, he/she may attempt to take his/her own life, if high, so he/she MUST be restrained somehow.  If he's (I'll just call him 'he' from now on for simplicity's sake, wish I'd thought of it sooner)! smile gone the manic route-as have Cocaine addicts, and 'Meth Heads', etc.-he, as an addict-may do something/anything irrational, perhaps dangerous. Perhaps not, like overshopping.  Meth is one devil drug.  I know.

I was a meth addict for many years-I'm now sober from that particular evil for at least 10 yrs-and at first, I became euphoric and was an unquenchable tigress in the 'sack', but as I progressed into my addiction, I decided in my altered state, to 'go strolling'.  I dressed the part one day-in South Central L.A.(NOT the best neighborhood!)-and fortunately my husband, Anthony, and his brother, Mike, busted me as I left the house.  I never tried to do that again.  I was quite literally insane.  Meth is, IMO, the most dangerous drug on the 'market'.  It will make you behave in ways that you would NEVER consider when sober.  So I am most grateful to God-and my hubby/bro team smile-for the sort of 'intervention'that occurred that night.
      I have also had bouts with depression/mania, which was diagnosed a year ago as the now popular (!?) Bi-Polar Disorder.  I self-medicated before the diagnosis and thought I would die.  I hated myself with a furor I can't believe to this day, I even still have the writings I penned when in this state and they are indeed terrifying.  I was so very scared.  And so my choice in self-medication was alcohol-or anything that I thought would make me feel better.  Pain pills, anti-anxiety pills (both of which I do legitimately need at the moment-I had hip replacement surgery just 19 (?) days ago-on March 14th (rotten in math, you see!) and my surgeon prescribed them to me.  I am following directions re: drugs for THE first time in my life.  I'm 55.
      But back then, the pain of depression and the stress of my sorrows led me to purchase these drugs off 'the street' or go 'Doctor Shopping' to get prescriptions.  All addicts are awesome liars, and get what they want almost every time.  I did.  As to the booze, I drank at least a fifth of Seagram's Seven-with the pills, too!-daily.  I wanted to die, literally, and hated Laurel-me-with a hellish passion.

And so, Eric, since he's in the hospital at the moment, he ought to be safe-depending, of course, on the hospital itself.  Treatment is crucial, and if he is WILLING and DETERMINED in his sobriety to fight this thing, he will be successful.  If he's not, then, well, I'm sorry, but it's probably going to be a crap shoot) I have also found that my VERY recent acceptance of Christ/Buddha/etc., (I'm sort of a Heinz 57 sort of spiritual person) smile into my life-surgery can do some interesting things to your psyche-has helped me maintain my sobriety for months; I became sober on Christmas Eve '11.  Does he have an opinion on religion, or is he agnostic/atheistic or anything??  Whatever he thinks of these 'life questions' is critical to recovery.  Before Dec. 24th of last year, I was and always had been agnostic.  I didn't believe in God yet I thought I did, I didn't know what was true and so I remained in a sort of spiritual limbo.

Anyway, Eric, my sincere prayers (I said one just now) come your way for your relative and for you; for families of addicts tend to suffer just as much as the addict, but of course in different ways.

4. MichaelGallinger profile image61
      MichaelGallingerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

May God and peace be with you and your family member.

5. 0
      Motown2Chitownposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Prayers and positive thoughts are making their way to you and your family.  Keep your head up and pray for strength.

6. Trish_M profile image90
      Trish_Mposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I wish her well ~ and the same to all of your family smile

7. AEvans profile image74
      AEvansposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Will pray for your family member.

8. kissayer profile image87
      kissayerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Praying for your family member as well as you and your family. Hang in there smile

9. arreisknarf profile image60
      arreisknarfposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I will defiantly pray for your family member. As a christian i believe in the power of prayer through Jesus Christ

10. 0
      klarawieckposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm so sorry to hear that, Eric. I will pray for her. Lots of good vibes heading your way.

11. JSChams profile image61
      JSChamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I will certainly pray for you and your family.

12. schoolgirlforreal profile image77
      schoolgirlforrealposted 4 years ago in reply to this

May the Lord help you in your and yours time of trouble. And may you know that his ever healing presence is there with you, just reach out, may His Holy Presence fill you with peace and comfort and may he grant healing to your friend.

(not feeling really spiritual but hope that helps!)

13. blessedp profile image61
      blessedpposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hi Eric,

I am am sorry for the state your family is in.
      I pray that God will bring divine healing and deliverance through the blessed Holy Spirit, may the virtue from His body reach and touch his/her soul, mind, heart and body and bring forth complete healing. 
      Because what man cannot do, surely Almighty God creator and ruler of heaven and earth can heal and deliver.  We have a healer and His name is Jesus and the shedding of His blood on Calvary's cross was not in vain, but to save and deliver, to heal and set free. 
      I lift my faith along with you and other hubbers that God will do as He promise in His word that He will never leave nor forsake. 
      Believe and surely you shall receive.  Stand in that gap and prove that God is a deliverer.  God bless that person and be strong.

2. 0
    summerberrieposted 4 years ago

Your family member has my prayers

3. Rosie2010 profile image82
    Rosie2010posted 4 years ago

Sorry to hear this, Eric.  I'll keep you and your family member in my prayers.

4. Jonathan Janco profile image82
    Jonathan Jancoposted 4 years ago

I'm on it.

5. Eric Newland profile image60

Thank you, everyone. This person is in the hospital right now; I only know a little about their condition. If they recover well the bigger battle will be once and for all beating the addiction that got them to this point.

6. elle64 profile image86
    elle64posted 4 years ago

Love and light coming your way- Lots of love Elle

7. AshtonFirefly profile image82
    AshtonFireflyposted 4 years ago

Keep hanging in there; I hope all works out better for you in this painful time hmm

8. Pearldiver profile image87
    Pearldiverposted 4 years ago

Sometimes the best road to full recovery can only be found within the despair felt on darkest days...  All the best to your family Eric smile

9. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 4 years ago

I just sent one up, Eric.

10. SimeyC profile image87
    SimeyCposted 4 years ago

Prayers and positive thoughts heading your way

11. prettydarkhorse profile image66
    prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago

Like habee, I sent one.  Take care~!

12. Eric Newland profile image60

Thanks again, everyone, for your thoughts and prayers.

1. lorlie6 profile image85
      lorlie6posted 4 years ago in reply to this

You are very welcome, Eric, for this is an extremely serious situation!  All the best to you and your family.

13. Eric Newland profile image60

Well, the good news is, she (yeah, the gender ambiguity is making everything sound awkward; I'm probably being more cautious than I need to be, but I want to make sure I protect her privacy) didn't do any real damage to herself. She was physically well enough to release today, but she's being retained for psych evaluation.

Hopefully a rehabilitation plan will come out of this and she'll stick with it this time.

1. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I hope and pray so.
      This situation is common to a lot of people's families.  It's good that she has caring family members!

14. Peggy W profile image91
    Peggy Wposted 4 years ago

Wishing her a complete recovery and may God bless your entire family and the friends who are also affected by her addictions.  For it impacts more than just the one person.

1. Jean Bakula profile image96
      Jean Bakulaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't know you but also have a family member who has issues of this type. I will think of the family, sending love and light. Some people have to hit bottom, and it may be a positive turning point (though of course it doesn't seem that way now)! I wish you and your family all the best, and your support will be very helpful--even though I understand how helpless these situations make a family feel. Best wishes.

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image92
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 4 years ago

Prayers are coming your way - for your loved one, and for you, too. They're very fortunate to have your love and support to rely on. Hugs to you!

3. hetty frederik profile image60
      hetty frederikposted 4 years ago

Will pray for your relative and you as well. God Bless Y' all.

4. Eric Newland profile image60

Thank you again for all the prayers and well wishes.

*sigh* Don't know where things are going. She's out of the hospital but not in a good mental state and so far isn't being proactive about her treatment plan. I'm in real fear that she'll just relapse without a fight and it'll be as if none of this ever happened.

It just sucks. I'm not close enough to her that I feel I can do anything directly to help out. Meanwhile it's more or less tearing up one whole side of my family.

Sometimes there really is nothing we can do to help someone, no matter how hard we try, no matter how much we love them. It's one of the hardest things I've ever had to  learn in my life. The person has to want to help themselves, and if they are too deeply into drugs, and have personality disorders, your hands are somewhat tied. As long as you think you tried and gave it your best shot, you did all you could. I understand this may sound cold, but I have a drug addicted bipoloar brother. I would have moved mountains to help him, and he has caused me a fortune in money, a heart that can't be broken much more, issues in my marriage, and so much more. People don't change. Well, about ninety percent of the time they don't. I don't think they mean to hurt those who love them, but with their mental illnesses they can't help it. I know how much it hurts to see what they do. It's not in your hands. Take care of yourself, you've done what you could.

5. kmaskreations profile image74
      kmaskreationsposted 4 years ago

Just prayed for this situation.  May God intervene and given the glory.

6. Lindy's World profile image82
      Lindy's Worldposted 4 years ago

May God keep you all and guide you. You and yours have our prayers.

7. Express10 profile image88
      Express10posted 4 years ago

I will pray for you. My father passed away years ago from alcoholism and hid it so well that my sisters and I never knew until he was in the throes of end stage liver disease. Just knowing about their problem can make such a huge difference in your loved one's likelihood to escape their addiction. GOD Bless.

8. Lee Tea profile image93
      Lee Teaposted 4 years ago

When you hit rock bottom, there's only one way to go...
      I bless that this passes you by quickly and completely. The only life experience I have to offer you as advice is this - be sure to take good care of yourself, for if you're not well, you're no help to anyone. Be well.

9. Eric Newland profile image60

Thank you all again for the thoughts and prayers.

I'm afraid we're already there, relapse-wise. Not a single breakthrough in all of these recent events. No wake-up call. It's frustrating for me and devastating for other members of my family who are closer to her.

Right now my biggest prayer is for those most affected by it to find a way out of harm's way (emotionally speaking) so she can thrash all she wants until she decides she's actually ready to heal. It's a complicated situation. A clean break is easier said than done.

10. Jenna Pope profile image62
      Jenna Popeposted 4 years ago

Hi Eric,

I am sorry that you are going through this. I'm a Certified Alcohol & Drug Counselor. I see this every day. You can only do what you can do. You did not cause the problem, and you can't fix it.

I will pray for your whole family. You might want to sit in on a few Al-Anon meetings. That might help you personally be able to deal with your discouragement.

God is big. I will pray and keep praying.

Jenna Pope

11. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image92
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 4 years ago

Hang in there, Eric - my family has been affected by this type of thing, too, and it can become the center of your lives to the point you can't recall what 'normal' used to feel like.  It's so hard to know someone you love is destroying themselves (and everyone else), and yet they can't or won't do what seems to be so logical. 

My heart goes out to you and your family.  Stay as strong as you can.

12. puter_dr profile image84
      puter_drposted 4 years ago

Here is to praying that they make a recovery and find something in their life worth staying straight for. I have a niece that has been on a path of destruction for the last 16 years, and she has gotten herself clean in the last 2 years, and married recently. She seems to be very happy, and we are just hoping she can keep it up.

13. RooBee profile image84
      RooBeeposted 4 years ago

Sorry that you and your family are going through such a trial.  You have my thoughts and sincere well wishes for healing and happiness.

14. rahul0324 profile image82
      rahul0324posted 4 years ago

my prayers for you and your family... all the best.. have patience and believe in god... eberything will  be fine

15. Eric Newland profile image60

Thank God. She's finally been talked into voluntarily attending inpatient rehab. Here's hoping the next 30 days bring real, lasting change.

1. 0
        klarawieckposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Glad to hear that, Eric.

2. hetty frederik profile image60
        hetty frederikposted 4 years ago in reply to this

God heard our prayers, Eric

1. 74
          Robertr04posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I've got your family member in my prayers.

16. Eric Newland profile image60

Thank you, everyone. Right now I'm just hoping she comes back clean and stays that way for a while. Obviously what I really hope for is that she makes the lifelong change she and her closest family need, but given past events I only feel confident taking things one step at a time.

17. Hypersapien profile image35
      Hypersapienposted 4 years ago

You have my best wishes for your family.

Hang in there Eric. It's a good sign she voluntarily went into rehab. If the family and trusted friends can keep her busy (and keep an eye on her) when she comes out, that may help. I know we tend to blame others for issues like this, when it's our loved one acting out. But sometimes the company they keep is making matters worse. You rest up while she's safe. Take care.

18. vocalcoach profile image93
      vocalcoachposted 4 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about the addiction problem of a dear one. Please know that my prayers will be offered.  God Bless.