Meditation, Awakening and Enlightenment?

1. johnscott00 profile image60
    johnscott00posted 4 years ago
    People from the Eastern hemisphere are probably more acquainted with the term or the word “Enlightenment.” If you’re from the Western hemisphere, you probably are acquainted with the term “Awakening”. So what is “Awakening” or “Enlightenment”? In the Western tradition Abraham Maslow was really the pioneer in studying these wonderful experiences of “Awakening”. He called them “Peak Experiences.” They really are magical, wonderful, enlightened experiences of truly being present in the moment. Being present in the moment and alive; being so present that you feel and sense everything around you and everything inside of you. It was a very magical, beautiful experience he found as he researched it many years ago.

In more of the Eastern traditions they use the word “Enlightenment,” very similar to what we call “awakening” in the West. It entails losing the egoic and being present with right now. Buddha is quoted to have said “There is no self.” I think what he meant is that we are so in touch with all that is around us that we lose the egoic identity of “me” and “mine.” There’s a greater love and we’re more in touch with other people than we are with ourselves. Sometimes, when people do drugs this experience of “me” and “mine” occurs. I definitely don’t advocate this method as a way of moving into an awakening. We all know that drugs are not a solution to finding ourselves but will only put us on a path to self-destruction. Meditation is a safe and much more effective way of experiencing this form of awakening.