jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Please help to stay quit smoking!

1. ajayshah2005 profile image72
    ajayshah2005posted 4 years ago

I tried many times to quit smoking.I could lower the frequency but couldn't succeed. Once again  i tried today to quit....now it is about 3 hours and 27 minutes...i have quit and staying quit.Please help me staying quit.

2. Reality Bytes profile image95
    Reality Bytesposted 4 years ago

This could help.

1. ajayshah2005 profile image72
      ajayshah2005posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks! now 4 hrs and 25 minutes.....

3. ThunderKeys profile image83
    ThunderKeysposted 4 years ago

I'm a professional Counselor and behavior change consultant.

One of the best ways to quit smoking is through gradual reduction, combined with replacing smoking with other more healthy but enjoyable behaviors.

For example, if you do relapse, now that you are at close to the 4 hour point, you could have one every 4 hours for a 2 days and then have one very 5 hours for 2 days and then one every 6 hours for 2 days.

Also, you can make a list of things that you enjoy doing and that are healthier than smoking, like going for a walk, reading a good book, - a great strategy is to replace smoking with an exercise program (exchanging a negative for a positive addiction).

One of the best approaches for really quitting smoking, with out drugs is called cognitive behavioral relapse prevention. Originally developed for alcohol addiction it's now applied for every kind of addictive behavior including smoking:

Also, try practicing and mastering "the relaxation response" every-time you want to smoke: