jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Passionflower for anxiety?

1. MissUgly profile image61
    MissUglyposted 4 years ago

Hey guys so I have suffered from anxiety, and just wondered if anyone else has tried the herb Passionflower?
    I have tried it (months ago) and I have to say it really did help me!
    Also does anyone know of any alternatives to this herb?

Laura x

1. 0
      klarawieckposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Write a hub about passionflower. I think it'll be interesting. I have a friend who grows passionflower at her home and she absolutely loves it.

2. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

I have a passion flower vine along my back fence. I've never used it for medicinal purposes. They are beautiful to see and can easily take over a fence or clothesline! We had to cut ours back.

It would make an interesting hub.

Have you tried a Vitamin B complex liquid?  It can help relieve symptoms of stress and anxiety.

1. 0

rebekahELLE is that your picture? You look beautiful!
      My friend that has the passionflower vine, she raises bees and apparently they love the passionflower fruit, and it gives the honey a very unique delicious taste.

1. rebekahELLE profile image92
        rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago in reply to this

yes, it's me, thanks!

The passion flower is such an amazing looking flower, it's quite elaborate in structure. I know certain species need bees to effectively pollinate, others are pollinated by hummingbirds. I'm pretty certain the species we have are pollinated by bees. I also have night blooming jasmine along the back fence. When both flowers are in bloom, it's rather intoxicating on a hot summer night in the pool!

I don't believe the passion flower chemicals are addictive. Kava Kava can also be used for stress and is not addictive. I used Kava Kava with vitamin B a few years ago when I had an extremely stressful year in the classroom along with my mother's passing. It worked!

1. 0

I used vitamin B complex for a while, but I was SOOOOO RELAXED that I was late to work every day. lol I had to quit taking it.

3. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

I'd thought of doing a bunch of herb hubs awhile back. However, different common herbs are illegal in different countries. This tends to give google fits. I decided that discretion was the better part of valor and so deferred. Besides, herbs might also be one of those over-saturated topics, not sure.

1. 0

No way! You should do it. The topic of herbs could branch forever. Think about all the things you could cover in hubs - the history, the culinary use, combinations of herbs to create tea flavors, how to plant and grow the herb, symbolic and spiritual meaning of the herb, how the herb is used throughout the globe... you can go on FOREVER.
      I say you should do it. I'll read it!

4. ThunderKeys profile image82
    ThunderKeysposted 4 years ago

The thing about herbal or natural meds is that they have their effects via chemicals. Anything that provides chemical relief from anxiety is bound to have "habituation" and or rebound effects.

The best drug cocktail to take for anxiety is made in the brain
    during the relaxation response. You can take as much natural relaxation as you want with only positive side effects across every aspect of your life and work.

Check out this great free video and audio training resource from Arizona State University. I sure hope it helps:

5. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

To herb? Or not to herb? That is the question. I suppose it is better to have herbed and lost than to have never herbed at all. big_smile