jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Dealing with parental pressure

1. mias profile image60
    miasposted 4 years ago

How can I deal with my parents piling guilt on me all the time. If I do not agree to follow their set plan for me they believe I am being selfish.
    Any suggestions?

It is extremely weighing down to be independent and at the same time feel the mountain of guilt.

1. Disappearinghead profile image89
      Disappearingheadposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Dr Alban had something to say about this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcy7g05A … ata_player

2. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 4 years ago

Tell them "With all due respect and gratitude for all of your sacrifices and efforts, I must say that I feel you are being harsh when you try to tell me what to do with my life. My life is my own and I am free to do as I choose. Please be happy for me and supportive because I enjoy sharing my life with you."

This is the politically correct way to say it, try this before choosing a harsher tone. Hopefully they'll think about it and be understanding and it won't ignite an argument. However, I know people who have had to become quite rude to get the exact same point across to their parents because the parents refuse to accept the fact that their adult child CAN and SHOULD make their own choices.

Many people do not want to be told what to do as young adults/adults when they are completely independent of their families and RIGHTFULLY so. Make every effort to stand up for yourself to get the respect that you earned. Good luck to you and your family.

1. mias profile image60
      miasposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks a lot definitely helps me.