jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Biking and the Rain

1. TheCranberryBarn profile image81
    TheCranberryBarnposted 5 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6605073_f248.jpg
    I just had my bike tuned up and went out for a ride yesterday.  The bike felt like it was new.  It was my first time on it in awhile, so I only want a few miles.  The feel of the wind on my face was great and I vowed to get on the bike everyday to get back in shape and lose some weight.

I was raring to go this morning!  Then I looked out the window.  It was raining.  What a disappointment....

The weather is going to clear later today, but by the time it does, I have a Chiropractor appt. and work.  By the time I get my 2nd wind, it'll be dark and I don't ride my bike in the dark.

I have lots of choices for exercise, but my brain is wrapped around biking right now.  Very frustrating!

What would you do?

1. ptosis profile image78
      ptosisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If must ride and it's raining then maybe can get the rack that you put your regular bike on and spin in the living room

Look up on ebay for

New Magnet Indoor Bicycle Bike Trainer Steel Stand Kinematic Exercise 7015
      or
      Indoor Bike Bicycle Trainer Stationary Exercise Stand

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
        Jesus was a hippyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It is cheaper to lie on your back and pretend you are cycling.

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
      Jesus was a hippyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What is wrong with riding your bike in the rain? It's just water. It can be quite refreshing.

Either that or buy some lights.

2. rahul0324 profile image84
    rahul0324posted 5 years ago

You will find out time for it.. dn wrry... Just because it rained today , does not mean ... you cannot go out to ride the bike everyday...

3. Express10 profile image86
    Express10posted 5 years ago

It depends on the person. If they really want to ride, they would go for it outdoors. If keeping dry and away from slick roads is a primary concern, then they should put the rear wheel up on an indoor rack and ride away in the comfort of home or spin at the gym.

4. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

I just bike in the rain.  It's never caused me any trouble.

1. ptosis profile image78
      ptosisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Lucky you. But if don't live in the country, city riding is dangerous because of all the oil slicked up with the rain. A recumbent bike sucks in the rain. Metal man holes I avoid in the rain. Just too dangerous if in the city during a rain.

If it's a light drizzle - and the roads aren't slicked up with oil = yes.
      BTW that white paint on the road - very slick. Stupidest idea ever not to put some traction sand on the paint.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/04/13/us/sub13BCCONCORD/sub13BCCONCORD-articleLarge.jpg
      A memorial for Solaiman Nuri and his daughter Hadessa in Concord, Calif. A car jumped a curb and struck them as they rode their bicycles on a sidewalk.

working