jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Pancreatic Cancer

1. Teresas Girl profile image60
    Teresas Girlposted 5 years ago

Hi,

My good friend (42 years old) has just been diagnosed with this disease - is there anyone out there who knows anything about this or who has lived with/through this?

Googling seems to be a confusing and depressing task!

Thanks xx

1. peeples profile image89
      peeplesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Honestly I am sorry to say I have known 3 people who had this and none made it. It has a very low treatment sucess rate, or at least it did a few years ago when the last person I knew was fighting it, she was only 36. Sorry to hear about your friend.

1. Teresas Girl profile image60
        Teresas Girlposted 5 years ago in reply to this

peeples - thats what I was afraid of....from the little I have googled it seems to reflect a low sucess rate. I'm so sorry to hear of your losses as well. cancer is affecting a few people in my life right now - just praying for miracels it seems.

I hope you don't mind me asking but from point of diagnosis how long roughly was there for your friends? My friend is in a bad way.  They were treating him for another condition for months before they reslised only yesterday what they were dealing with. He is yellow and lost a lot of weight - I'm seeing him tonight but I've been told to prepare myself.

Thanks for you reply xx

1. peeples profile image89
          peeplesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I hate telling you this but if he is already getting jaundice and loosing a lot of weight he may be close. My friends mother made it 3 months from diagnosis. My husbands grandmother made it 7 months. Our family friend made it just over a month. Everyone is different though so you never know for sure. Medicine is advancing everyday!

2. profile image68
      Robertr04posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hello again Teresas Girl. Is natural healing being considered?

2. CASE1WORKER profile image84
    CASE1WORKERposted 5 years ago

My friend is booked in for a whippies operation which will help for a little while. Sometimes it is hard to diagnose, so my friend wont know  until they do an exploration whether he has it- I find it very hard so what he finds it I dont know. He is on a roller coaster ride
    Good luck to your friend; miracles do happen but it may be their time is soon- I guess you just cant come out with "so how long do you have?" sounds rather rotten in conversation

3. profile image0
    DigbyAdamsposted 5 years ago

I'm sorry about your friend's diagnosis. You might want to read a new book called "Dream New Dreams." It's written by Jai Pausch, who's husband Randy Pausch died from pancreatic cancer after two years of illness. She writes a lot about the treatments he went through and how she coped. He wrote the book "The Last Lecture."

working