Would you be for/against limits on alcoholic drinks sold in bars,etc?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (32 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Deb Welchposted 11 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6794216.jpg
    Should this be enforced, due to the great amount of drunken
    driving accidents, deaths, injury, and damages?
            Maybe a number should be given at the bar after 3 or 4
            drinks are sold for each person, a server
            could put the number on the bill as well.                     
            Possibly sign a book for the selected driver if the
                                 there seems to be a problem.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Presently, it's not enforced by any authority other than the owner of the bar. And, it shouldn't be anything someone else should regulate or watch. There's already enough government interference in the lives of people as it is.
      As I said above.
      ?

1. profile image0
        paxwillposted 11 years agoin reply to this

agreed

2. Dr Pooja profile image59
    Dr Poojaposted 11 years ago

Worth a try to save precious lives lost to accidents ,drunken brawls and numerous crimes after excessive drinking. My vote is For !!

1. profile image0
      Deb Welchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Something really needs to be done - everyday I read or hear about a dunken driver plowing into people and killing pedestrians and injuring many.

3. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 11 years ago

This sort of issue is raised all the time here in the UK with binge drinking and the need for what they call the 'booze wagon' an ambulance especially set up for drinking related problems on weekends. The problem is if you cannot buy from the bar/pub, you go to the shops and buy. If people want to over drink they will. They actually tried changing and reducing restrictions that meant that drinks couldn't be sold after a certain time because it was causing people to drink as much as possible as quickly as possible before the last calls for buying your drinks.
    What I would like to see is responsible drinking, and teaching responsible drinking to the next generation. Being restricted by the government is not responsible drinking, its restricted drinking and people will always rebel against big brother restricting them.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So in short, I don't think it would make any difference. smile

1. profile image0

Yes - here in the US - they close bars earlier - some bar owners don't need to serve to customers that they deem too drunk to manage.  Yet - people drink for lunch and go out into heavy day traffic - too dangerous.  Probably in twenty years they will lawfully do something about the abuse.

4. recommend1 profile image61
    recommend1posted 11 years ago

Here in China there is no restriction of any kind on sales of alcohol and very little public drunkenness, fighting is almost unheard of and people don't drink and drive because it is dangerous and they have a social conscience not because of the law - generally.  Except of course Americans here who generally hang out in their own bars - easily found by the smell of cannabis smoke and the puke all over the pavements, and of course the violence in and around them.

1. profile image0

We have been having problems with night spot bars and the drinkers taking their drinks out into the street which is against the law.  They do get rowdy too.

5. tamron profile image68
    tamronposted 11 years ago

I don't think you should be cut off at a certain amount of drinks by law.  No,I think it should be up to the bar tender.

If I have had to much to drink they cut me off or they take my keys and call a cab for me.

I know most of the bar tenders around here as friends that has came to my house went boating,cookouts ect..

They cut me off so they would someone they didn't know.  As soon as someone gets a little mouthy they are cut off or asked to leave.

I live in a small town.  In a big town their would be noway a bar tender could keep up with a certain amount of drinks per person because they can always get someone else to buy their drinks for them.

1. profile image0

For a small town this practice would work great - but for big cities - you are right - the bartender could never keep track  In years to come they may install a breath meter - too many accidents and deaths are happening too frequently.  What happened to responsibility and maturity?

6. profile image0
    paxwillposted 11 years ago

The bartender can (and often will) refuse to serve an extremely drunk patron more drinks, and it doesn't need to be regulated any further than that.  The problem with capping it at a fixed number is that everyone's tolerance is different.   4 beers may have a minimal effect on a 250 man, but for a 100 pound woman could be more than enough to intoxicate her.

1. profile image0

Agree - pax - I can only handle one bottle of beer, one glass of wine or one mixed drink - singularly not all together at one time.  Everyone's body chemistry is different - a breath meter would be the gauge.

7. HurricaneHunter profile image60
    HurricaneHunterposted 11 years ago

I'd be for it, I would think there would be less accidents. I believe that if someone wants to get that drunk they can do it at home. Though I agree with some other comments that it depends on the person on whether or not they get drunk. Honestly I think there should be someone walking around to make sure there isn't someone completely smashed, especially outside near the cars. It'd definitely save lives.

What is the cost to society? to the Economy? to a person's individual rights?(the bar owner, who will most likely have to flip the bill for the government intervention, which will be passed on to the customer, driving up the prices.
      Yes, common sense would dictate, but people don't have the same "common sense" as others do. It's a self realization which needs to gain awareness in the individual person and how it relates to their actions. To see the possible consequences of doing it some place that's not home. Stupidity in motion is just like ignorance and is very dangerous for others. It needs to stop. How to stop it? Educate society honestly. Instead of the BS being dealt out now.
      That's why bars have bouncers.

1. HurricaneHunter profile image60
        HurricaneHunterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

True, very true. My brother was a bouncer and I remember him telling me how he couldn't leave his spot despite this man clearly drunk as a dog and stumbling out. (He had to watch the other door, due to such a crowd.) Which is why I wish they would hire someone to walk around outside and watch out for those who are completely drunk. To make sure they get home safely and cause no harm to those around them. Or at least help them call someone to pick them up. But unfortunately that's a bit hard to do and I doubt bar owners would hire those kinds of people. That's what I was trying to imply anyway, sure there's bouncers but they kind of just kick everyone out if their drunk or guard the door. But I'm not saying all of them do this of course.
        Unfortunately despite all the ads you see on TV about drunk driving it still continues. Which again brings the question on what to do about it. You are right, we need to educate people. I think they should start that in school, a special class that talks about it. I never got those kind of classes and I took health all throughout high school. The teacher said one thing, don't drink. But that isn't going to stop kids from drinking or help those out of school.
        I was talking to a friend once about how there should be places similar to bars you could go to, where you could just stay the night after drinking. Instead of driving but like you said that'd be at a cost to society. Because who knows if that would work or not, some may find it stupid while others would find it a good idea.
        And yea, unfortunately some do not have enough common sense to realize that they are putting others in danger when they do those things.
        I don't mean to say people shouldn't have their rights taken away but when their rights put others in danger, it isn't really a right anymore. At least that's what my opinion is.

The right doesn't put other people in danger. It is a person's inability to be responsible about said right that puts people in danger. Don't confuse the two.

1. profile image0

Driver Education courses in high school could bring more information into the course regarding mixing drinking and driving.  The consequences nobody wants if they are caught and cause an accident or kill someone.

That's understood, but doesn't negate the post you're responding to.

2. profile image0

Hurricane - Yes - someone walking around the lounge and restaurant areas - checking customer's drinking habits - excellent.

8. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Actually, I'm reasonably sure that law already exists. Bartenders are not allowed to serve intoxicated customers. Problem is that the bartenders all ignore that little regulation...

1. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There are laws that prevent bartenders from serving obviously inebriated customers, but I'm pretty certain the laws vary by state and even county or municipality. In any case, it's generally a misdemeanor offense and is usually only called upon if there is a subsequent crash/death that results from a person being overserved.

It's a terribly impractical law, especially in busy bars and nightclubs where bartenders have maybe 10 or 15 seconds to determine if someone is inebriated, which is probably why it's not used very often.

It's really a difficult issue because while it is illegal in the US to drive with a blood alcohol content of .08 or higher, there's no law against it if you're not driving. My three 20-something kids all work on the designated driver system when they go out with their friends so they never have to deal with the issue.

IMHO, people who have had even one drink shouldn't be behind the wheel of a car. Full stop.

Interesting statement. hmm

1. lrohner profile image68

Well, think about it, Cags. You can't send a text while driving or talk on your cell phone, but the average guy can go and slam back five beers and legally get on the road and drive. hmm  Something's really wrong with that.

Someone who slams back 5 beers isn't legally allowed to get behind the wheel of a car. However, that also depends on the individual and their tolerance to alcohol.

If someone walked into a bar, slammed back 5 beers and left. They are no longer a legal driver by law. If they take 6 hours to drink those 5 beers then we would be talking about something different.

1. profile image0

Five hours later after drinking quite heavily and being quite drunk, the alcohol should be worn off to a great extent depending on the person.  You can leave the establishment - drive on a lonely dark road - hit something and while texting - not know what that was.  A local doctor did this after leaving a country club - and hit a teen-ager riding her skateboard on the side of the road coming from work at 11 pm - she was wearing dark clothing and crouched down.  He killed her.  He got home and he told his wife - go to that area and see what he hit - the ambulances were there.  Five hours later - he called the police.

Hey Deb, do try to pay attention to what I said instead of making up things.

I said, if you walked into a bar, slammed down 5 drinks and left, then that person isn't legal to be behind the wheel.

I also said that if someone in a bar for 6 hours and drank 5 beers(NOT MORE), then it would be a different story when they left the bar.

1. profile image0

Excuse me - I did not make this story up.  It actually happened recently.
                  Okay - within 6 hours if you drink such a number of drinks and not eat any food - to absorb the alcohol -  or not dance to work off the alcohol - you could be quite smashed - still depending on the person drinking.  Sorry about  not comprehending completely.  Leaving to drive - your blood alcohol level could still probably be too high legally depending on the person.

I didn't think you made up a story. And yes there are a lot of different factors which would go into determining whether or not someone is affected/effected by the alcohol they drink.

I know, I drink. And my tolerance for alcohol is so high it's not even funny. For me, at least the place I drink is walking distance to my apartment and if I'm going to get really hammered for whatever reason, I know enough to say the hell home.

2. lrohner profile image68

The average 200 lb guy who drinks five beers in a two-hour period (not six) most likely has a BAC that's within legal limits -- four for a 175 lb man. Sorry -- I shouldn't have used the word "slammed." smile

In any case, I wouldn't want to be in the car with them or near them. I know for me that after one glass of wine or one mixed drink, I shouldn't be behind the wheel. That's why I don't drive when I've had anything at all to drink.

That's good for you. You at least have the conscious ability to understand both the effects and consequences with regards to your abilities while drinking. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)