How to Get Rid of Abdominal Distension and Bloating
X ray Image of Gaseous Distension
Abdominal distension and bloating results in a feeling of fullness and tightness in the abdomen, and triggers immense tummy discomfort. Having heavy meals, staying hungry for long periods of time, and eating lots of gas-producing foods are important causes.
What Causes Abdominal Bloating And Gaseous Distension?
There are several factors responsible for abdominal distention and bloating:
- Incorrect eating habits, erratic lifestyle, gastric reflux disease and excessive use of antacids result in gaseous distension and flatulence.
- Sedentary lifestyle with no exercise is a significant cause.
- A long interval between two meals, eating very heavy and greasy meals, having late lunches and dinners.
- Eating too much of fermented foods and legumes.
- Smoking or consumption of tobacco products is also associated with gaseous distension
- Hormonal changes
- Poor sleep
How to Get Rid Of Distention: Home Remedies to Manage a Gassy Stomach
- Ginger: ginger is the most effective anti-flatulent remedy. Grate about 1 inch of the herb and boil well in some water. Add honey and have once daily. You can also extract the juice of ginger and add honey and have it. Those who are prone to stomach upsets, have a hectic and an inconsistent lifestyle and do not exercise regularly; must have a glass of ginger tea every day after meals. Ginger aids in digestion, breaks up gas and helps in its expulsion.
- Mint: Mint tea is another very effective home remedy for gaseous distension. Mint is a carminative and an anti-inflammatory herb. It soothes the gut lining, allays discomfort and pain and helps get rid of gas.
- Fennel seeds: the fennel seed is another quick-fix. Chew on a spoonful of fennel seeds; fennel seed is the best carminative, i.e., the seeds can effectively and speedily drive out gas and lessen stomach discomfort. In fact, make sure you have a spoonful of the seeds after every meal.
Guidelines to Prevent the Occurrence of Abdominal Bloating: Tips to prevent Gassy Stomach
- Always begin your day with herbal tea. Mint, ginger and lemongrass are recommended. You may also add basil, or sage. Herbal tea promotes normal working of the gastro-intestinal system, regularizes the bowel movement and expels gas easily.
- Chew your food with the mouth shut. When the mouth is open while eating, one tends to swallow large quantities of air, thereby, worsening the condition.
- You must drink 12 glasses of water everyday. In addition, have plenty of other liquids in the form of juices, soups, herbal teas, and watery foods such as watermelon, limes, lemons, and oranges. Limit your consumption of: legumes, beans, pulses, cabbage, kale, cauliflower, and fermented foods. These foods are slightly difficult to digest and produce a lot of gas.
Life style Modifications to treat Gassy Stomach
Here are some lifestyle modification tips, that can help reduce the occurance of this distressing condition,
- Avoid smoking. Smoking can lead to irritation of the gastric mucosa, resulting in increased production of gastric acid. This in turn may lead to gassy stomach. Alcohol also has a similar effect, particularly when consumed on an empty stomach.
- Limit the intake to tea, soda drinks and coffee, especially on an empty stomach. These drinks can irritate the gastric mucosa, resulting in increased production of gastric acids. As the intestinal juices attempt to neutralize these acids , bloating becomes inevitable.
- Simple excercises and Yoga can be helpful in improving gastric functions. Yoga postures like Gowmukhasana (Cow Pose) and Pawanmukhtasana (Wind Reliever) have been proven to be highly effective in the management of gassy stomach in individuals prone to development of this condition.
- Avoid erratic dietary practices. Timely consumption of meals is essential to deal with this problem.
More by this Author
Psoriasis is flaking of the skin and can affect any part of the body including the scalp. Fortunately there are a host of home remedies and natural cures that can be effective in the treatment of symptoms of psoriasis.
Tingling numbness is a very commonly experienced condition; however, it can be easily managed with home remedies and natural treatment options.
Liver Cysts rarely have any symptoms; nonetheless, the condition hampers liver functions considerably. Home remedies help treat the condition successfully and keep the liver functioning optimally.