10 Good Deed Ideas That You Can Do Today!
Good deeds make you feel good, and usually, they make the person that you do them for feels good as well.
What is a good deed? Well - it's the simple act of doing something good for someone else, an animal, or the Earth. I'm not sure how many people would add those last two in, but I know that a good deed does not stop at the person next to you.
So to get right on with it, this is an article on good deed ideas to help you get started spreading around your goodness. If you have any other ideas to share, please leave them in the comments below.
Do You Often Think About Doing Good Deeds Throughout Your Day?See results without voting
10 Good Deed Ideas
Sometimes, it can be hard to be kind to other people. Many people are so arrogant and self-centered that you may think "Why would I ever want to do a good deed for them?" Well, even if you don't get any appreciation back, you will still feel good about the act. You will still be putting good energy into the universe - and that can only benefit you in the long run.
This list is meant to get the ball rolling on your own personal good deeds. Once you start thinking in 'good deed mode' you will notice that there are many things you can do every day.
1. Offer an Unexpected smile - This is a simple act that can change someones day. If a grumpy, angry, or upset person offers you a frown, then offer them a smile. Often, this simple smile can cause them to feel better. In fact, many people mirror other people instinctively, and if you offer a smile they may instinctively smile as well. And we all know that a smile can make us feel better no matter what kind of mood we are in.
2. Give a Compliment - I find that many people are hardwired not to give compliments, even to their best friends or family members. It's as though a compliment will detract from their greatness, but this is not true. If you give someone a compliment for a job well done, you will not be detracting for the awesomeness that is you - instead, you will be adding to it and making someone else feel good at the same time.
3. Recycle What You Can - There is no excuse not to recycle anymore. Everywhere you look there are bins and bags to recycle in. Plus, every day that you recycle, you are doing a good deed for the Earth and EVERYONE and EVERY LIVING THING on it! You can't reach too many more people with one good deed than that! Maybe you are even impacting people in other words...just saying - you don't know!
4. Spare Some Change - Almost every day you will have an opportunity to do good deeds involving money. The homeless man or woman on the street, the old woman in the grocery line who is short 60 cents, and the kid who wants that extra piece of candy but doesn't have the extra few cents to buy it. If you got some extra change doing nothing in your pocket, you might as well do a good deed with it.
5. Let Someone Go First - It seems that we as a society have become so rushed that we are constantly trying to cut each other off with our cars and with our bodies. And not many of us give way to someone else when they are trying to cut us off.
But think of it like this, if someone is trying to get ahead of you, then they may have a real good reason like:
- A sick loved one that they are trying to get to.
- An important meeting that could make or break their career.
- Something else that they don't have time to stop and talk about with you.
Letting people go ahead is a good deed that becomes addictive, because not only do you give others a chance to get on with their day, you also feel more relaxed because you are not in such a hurry with yours.
6. Help Someone Getting Bullied - Bullying with kids and online has been in the news a lot lately, but bullying happens all over the place including the workplace and even just out and about during the day. I've seen people being yelled at by bullies for stupid reasons - and I do mean stupid - as I'm sure you have as well.
The person being bullied likely feels alone in their struggle, and since bullies tend to have a dominant personality, you standing beside someone who has a less dominate energy can help dilute the energy and stop the bullying from happening.
This doesn't mean that you should become the bully, but it does mean that you should stand by someone who is getting bullied and take part in making their day better.
7. Give Your Pet Some Extra Love - Yes, I consider this a very good deed. Actually I consider this an excellent good deed. Pets need love and lots of it, and since you took on the responsibility of caring for their lives, you are the ultimate person to do a good deed for your pet.
You can take your dog for a walk, play some games with them, teach them a new trick and get their mind working, give them an extra treat for the day, or just hug them extra long for the day. Whatever you do, choose something that will please your pet.
8. Hold That Door/Elevator! - How many times have you been walking through a door with your hands full and had it slam into your arm? This happen to a lot of people every day.
Chances are that if you are walking through a door, then someone else will not be too far behind you. Take a second to be aware of the people around you and hold the door open for all people who coming in.
Same goes for the elevator. If you are one of those people who hits the 'door close' button over and over while someone is running towards the door, then try a change and hold the 'door open' button. You will make someones day, and you will feel better about yourself if you do. It's such a simple good deed!
9. Spread The Word - This applies to online and offline business and organizations. Most of them require people to spread the word about them in order to succeed. Even articles (such as this) can benefit greatly from the share buttons that Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest provide. If I like something, I share it. I want them to succeed, because - hey, I like them!
Don't hide all the good things for yourself or deny people your approval because you are jealous of their success, share the love!
10. Have Patience With Stressful People - This is not only a good deed for the person you are exhibiting patience towards, but it is also a good deed for yourself! Imagine that, a good deed for yourself!
For example, when someone is purposely trying to push your buttons by doing something annoying, stupid, or rude, you can choose to act with patience and understanding instead of anger. This will benefit you by keeping your blood pressure low and your stress levels low as well - which we know are two health issues that many people are suffering from today.
Really this point on patience could be a whole article in itself as to why it is a good deed to you and others around you. I will let you come up with your own reasons for now.
More by this Author
Want your love dream interpreted? Fill in your dream details in the comments. Love dreams can tell us what's happened, what's happening, and what is going to happen. You can interpret your dreams.
You can be successful, even when every one around you is poo-pooing your dreams, goals, and visions in life. Find success alone if you have to, you deserve it, and then share your joy with others.
Do you have an annoying co-worker? Difficult co-workers are the worst! Whether it is a jerk, gossip, whiner, slacker, or inconsiderate co-worker, here is how to deal with them at work.