Healing with Essential Oils
Essential oil therapy
Essential Oil Therapy is rising in popularity today as a form of holistic alternative medicine. Many times people are choosing it in lieu of various medications to providing pain relief and healing. Not only do the oils themselves provide special healing qualities, but the smells provide physiological responses as well that can affect the entire body as well as the mind. Healing with essential oils is basically a blend of aromatherapy and essential oil therapy that can provide amazing results. This is just one of the essential oil uses.
History and Ancient Use of Essential Oils
Essential oils and aromatherapy have been in existence for hundreds of years. Civilizations used them because it was thought that the inner nature of the plant was reflected in the fragrances of these oils. All through history essential oils have also been used to provide healing and medical treatment. Essential oils were used in early Ayurvedic medicine to increase and restore health. The ancient Egyptians are the ones who get the most credit though for bringing about more complex uses of these essential oils. They felt that anointing, bathing in various ways would make them holy. Later the Greeks and the Romans would also use these oils.
Aromatherapy with Essential Oils Today
Aromatherapy and essential oil in modern times are seen as a great method of alternative medical treatment. Both amateur and professional studies show the benefits of using this healing modality in everyday life.
How Do Essential Oils Get Into the Body?
Wondering how these essential oils end up getting into the body? Well, there are various ways that essential oils can be administered, but the most common and effective ways are through the skin and the nose. Here is a closer look at both.
- The Skin - When essential oils are applied to the skin, the oil goes right through the pores and gets into the bloodstream and then goes through the entire body. However, since you smell the oils as well, it is often hard to realize how the oils are affecting you. The oils do not build up within your body and are excreted quite quickly. Also, they totally bypass your stomach as well, so they are not altered metabolically and go to the spot where they are so needed. Usually these oils are diluted before touching the skin as well since they are very concentrated. Often they come in slaves, tinctures, compresses, and lotions.
- The Nose - The essential oils can also get into the body through the nose as well, which is extremely sensitive. When your nose smells the molecules of odor, it sends out signals to the limbic region of the brain, which controls the survival functions of your body and it also influences glands that secrete hormones. This means that a smell can very quickly have an effect on the entire body. Bad smells can lead to violence and fear, and good smells can relax and provide positive health results. You can get the effects of inhaling these oils in a variety of ways, including putting a few drops on a light bulb, in warm water, in candle wax, bath water, or even in a humidifier.
Specific Applications for Essential Oils | Common Essential Uses
There are a variety of different applications for essential oils and here are a few of the main ones that can be used to provide healing and health benefits.
- Essential Oils for Pain - When people are dealing with pain, essential oils can be very effective. Oils and lotions for massage are great ways to get it on to the body. Some great essential oils for pain reduction include chamomile, lavender, clove bun, and lemongrass. Also, to get rid of swelling, rose, juniper, lavender, and chamomile oils can do the job.
- Essential Oils for Headaches - If you are dealing with headaches, various essential oils can provide some relief for you. Some oils to try include basil, peppermint, lavender, and lemongrass.
- Essential Oils for Insomnia - If you are having a hard time going to sleep, you may want to try some essential oils that will help to induce sleep. A few to try include chamomile, mandarin, sandalwood, orange blossom, clary sage, frankincense, and tangerine. These are great for baths or for massage.
- Essential Oils for Depression - Feeling down and depressed? If so, using oils like clove, orange, bergamot, lemon, and cardamom can help because they have properties that are antidepressants.
- Essential Oils for Stress Relief - Relieving stress is important and essential oils can help. When you are stressed, try essential oils such as chamomile, lavender, rose, bergamot, and marjoram.
- Essential Oils to Lower Blood Pressure - If you're dealing with high blood pressure, you may find that certain essential oils can really help. Going with orange oils, neroli, ylang ylang, geranium, and tangerine oils can help. However, you should not just stop taking blood pressure medications if they are being prescribed to you by a doctor.
- Essential Oils for Infections - There are a variety of essential oils that have antibacterial properties. They can be used on your skin or in baths as well. Some of the best oils to consider to help heal infections include lavender, bay rum, cinnamon, thyme, lemongrass, tea tree, savory, garlic, pine rose, bay laurel, and myrtle.
- Essential Oils for Energy and Stimulation - Certain essential oils can help to give you energy and keep you alert as well. You can use oils like basil, cypress, jasmine, sage, angelica, black pepper, cinnamon, rosemary, clove, peppermint, ginger, and even benzoin.
- How to Deal With Stress Using Essential Oils
No matter what age group you belong to, stress has become a common feature in almost everyone's life. By and large everyone experiences certain degree of pressure at work, in academics and even at home.
- Article on Essential Oils
Essential Oils are pure aromatic plant extract. They are obtained from aromatic plants steam and are volatile in nature. Taruna Oils has a unique and high quality Essential Oils collection which has effective therapeutic value.
Essential Oil DVDs
More by this Author
Hormones serve as chemical messengers within your body that is responsible for regulating various body functions such as growth and development, reproductive functions, metabolism, and tissue functions, among others....
Aromatherapy gained its recognition in the medical field as a safe and equally effective approach to healing various ailments as compared to using synthetic drugs or medications. This is due to the reliance on natural...
The type of food to eat when on a diet consisting of raw food is one of the most important aspects of this diet scheme. It is important to identify exactly what is considered as “raw food”. From what
No comments yet.