Home Remedies for Hangovers
What Causes Hangovers
Silly question, right? Nowadays even teenagers know very well the evil that causes hangovers: alcohol and alcoholic drinks.
But this is not true. Hangover is the result of drinking unwisely. If you follow simple steps (often you have to take courage and change some of your drinking habits, no matter how you like them... well, that is if you don't want to spend the day after party treating hangovers), and have a couple of home remedies for hangovers at stock in the refrigerator, you can be up and feeling well from the very morning.
The best way to avoid the splitting headache and nausea is preventing hangovers. Yeah, even most effective remedies do not give immediate relief, it just can't happen if you finished the evening dead drunk and unconscious. So below you'll find a list of VERY simple but ultimately best hangover cures.
- Do NOT mix drinks. This is non-discussible. If you started the party with whiskey, stick to it. It is recommended that you don't change the malt either.
- Do not start with stronger alcohol then passing onto weaker types. You can only go from weak alcohol towards stronger types. That is, wine followed by vodka is OK, but you should not begin with tequila and finish with beer.
- Never drink on an empty stomach. Eat something substantial that fills you up. Beer is cool with crisps, but you're about to start the next day by reading this hub ;-)
- There are all kinds of coctails, many of which are just too exotic or extreme. So decide if you want to experience the undiscovered sufferings from hangover or to prevent it. The choice is yours.
- No matter what alcohol you prefer, the quality should always be as it is meant to be. This is crucial for countries where authentic exspensive whiskeys and vodkas are replaced by cheap fakes.
- Get a pack of antipohmelin (in the EU and US it is known under the name of RU-21). It's formula has been developed by Russian chemists. Swallow 3 tablets half an hour before you serve yourself to your first shot, and keep another 3 until the morning comes. RU-21 tablets contain amino acids, vitamin C, enzymes and carbohydrates, the proportion of which is patented and strictly guarded.
- If you prefer strong alcoholics drinks like tequila or vodka, avoid all kinds of carbohydrated drinks. Pure clean water is best if you want an after drink. Water is also one the most affordable home remedies for hangovers when you suffer from dehydration as a consequence of excessive alcohol consumption.
- Have a can of beer stored in a cool place until the morning comes. But it's best if you drink it at once when you wake up somewhere in the middle of the night because your body urges you to take it to the bathroom. Just drink the beer quickly and get to bed. Many experienced drinkers consider beer to be one of the best hangover cures.
- Clean drinks contain less impurities than colored. That is, vodka and gin cause less severe hangovers than cognac and whiskey. Regretfully, the irony is that those impurities (called 'cogeners') are responsible for rich aroma and flavor. So it is the choice everyone should make.
Home Remedies for Hangovers
So the morning begins. Head aches, mouth dry, you are nauseous? That’s a hangover without doubt. Alcohol consumption often results in excess toxins entering blood stream and causing severe damage to the vital organs and functions of the body. So take those 3 pills of RU-21 and swallow them followed by a glass of pure water.
But how about getting rid of a hangover if you don't happen to have a single tablet within the reach?
Here are home remedies for hangovers.
- Eat several freshly-salted cucumbers. Chances are you will begin feeling a whole lot better than you expected!
- Or, eat raw cabbage to dissipate a headache.
- Make a peppermint tea by pouring one cup of boiling water over 1-2 teaspoons of the dried herb; cover; leave for fifteen minutes and then strain. Drink one or two cups as soon as you can.
- Make a banana milkshake (see the recipe below). The banana helps calm the stomach, and the honey builds up the blood sugar levels. The milk soothes the stomach and rehydrates your intestines. Bananas are also rich in magnesium, electrolytes and potassium, which are lost by the body during heavy drinking.
- Many people find that a cup of coffee is a good home remedy for hangovers. However, doctors normally do not recommend coffee to cure hangover because of coffeine. Coffee acts as a diuretic, meaning that it pulls more water out of the bloodstream. Same is true about tea, though some teas are great home remedies for hangovers. For example, peppermint tea will relax the intestines. Alternatively, you may drink two or three cups of Red Tea (which originates from South Africa). It contains no coffeine thus your kidneys will not be affected.
- Eat a couple of apples on an empty stomach. Apples contain easily digestible water, so your stomach will feel relaxed while delivering the valuable substances to your blood. A very affordable home remedy for hangovers!
- Honey has some advantages over many other home remedies for hangovers. First, it contains no sugar though is sweet. That sweetness is the fructose, which is different from sugar. Honey is rich in microelements that vreak down the toxins, and easily digests.
- Time permitting, take a hot bath with some relaxing oil or shampoo. Hot water will remove the toxins that leave the body via skin. Apart from being a pleasant home remeedy for hangover, it makes you feel better just because of the miracles the water can do.
Bananas Cure Hangovers
A banana milkshake is one of the quickest hangover solutions. Bananas are rich in potassium which brings that desirable hangover relief.
You will need the following ingredients:
- 1 Large, ripe banana;
- 2 Tbsp honey;
- 1 1/2 Cups milk.
Blend all ingredients together. Make sure you drink this slowly, nearly sipping, so that your body is able to absorb everything consistently. Room temperature milkshakes will probably feel better if you have an upset stomach, but you can make this a cool milkshake by adding some ice, or storing unpeeled bananas in your freezer. But if you plan to drink really lots of alcohol and expect yourself to be too weak to make a banana milkshake next morning, then keep a couple of portions ready and cool before you begin consuming alcohol.
More Home Remedies for Hangover
- Eat persimmon to help you with the hangover.
- Eat raw cabbage. But it's much better to have some sauerkraut at hand. I know many people will better die than eat it, but those who like it definitely consider it a super-efficient home hangover remedy. Or, drink sauerkraut juice with some tomato juice if you don't like it straight. This helps to replace lost nutrients.
- Add the juice of one lemon to a cup of black coffee and drink it unsweetened and without milk.
- Drink ginger tea.
- Eat a raw egg, or a softboiled one, to fight toxins.
- Drinking pickle juice is a good hangover remedy.
- The brine of the real pickles, made without vinegar. It is a common home hangover cure in Russia.
- Take chicken noodle soup in the morning. It will calm your body.
- Sports drinks are not really home remedies for hangovers, but they're better cures than clear water. Electrolytes found in sports drinks re-hydrate your body quicker than water - that's what they are meant for.
To fix a hangover, you don't have to buy anything expensive. If you don't feel like getting a can of beer or ordering a pack of RU-21, you can make a cup of coffee with a bit of lemon juice.
But the most important of all hangover tips is:
Do not drink too much!
Excessive comsumption of alcohol will most likely lead to severe hangover no matter what home remedies you have at hand. I advocate responsible drinking!
More by this Author
Free online virus scan services are very helpful in case there's a stubborn infection that can't be deleted using already installed PC security software. Online antivirus scanners are easy to use, but of course they...
It's a scientific fact that bananas cure hangovers. It is a god-sent fruit that is a perfect food for a hangovers. Ripe bananas relieve acute hangover symptoms, are easily digestable, and contain nutritive substances...
Miniature beagles for adoption are available via charity organizations and volunteers who try to rescue abandoned animals. Many miniature beagles can be obtained for free by adopting them from people who no longer want...