How To Instantly Sooth a Sore Throat with Frugal Homemade Remedies
What causes a sore throat?
Most often, sore throats are caused by bacteria or viruses which invade the throat through the mouth, eyes or nose. Other common causes for a sore throat or hoarse throat include screaming, smoke, allergies or cold weather.
Try out the easy home remedies below before you reach for the medicated throat spray or lozenge.
How to naturally relieve sore throat pain
- Drink hot tea, such as soothing chamomile or green tea with honey. The honey will lubricate your throat, while the warm water from the tea will help break up phlegm that might be making your throat feel congested. Repeat as often as needed.
- Drink citrus solutions (lemon or lime with honey, warm water or tea), steep citrus peels and citrus juice with honey and tea for an all natural sore throat pain soother
- Steamer/steam tent. Pour steaming hot water into a bowl, drape a towel over your head and breath deeply for a throat relaxing experience
- Suck on peppermint hard candy. This will help your body produce more saliva which may sooth the throat
- Drink plenty of fluids. Staying hydrated is essential to relieving a sore throat. Your body can't fight off infection when you are dehydrated.
- Gargle with salt water solution. Add one teaspoon iodized salt to very warm water. Gargle as needed, up to once an hour. Consult your doctor first, before using salt solution if you suffer hypertension.
- Gargle with hydrogen peroxide and water solution, one tsp to an eight ounce cup of water. This blend will help eliminate germs from your throat that could be causing the sore throat
- Gargle with apple cider vinegar solution. This old time home remedy for sore throat is easy to prepare
- Gargle with spices, such as sage or turmeric. Steep these spices together in warm water on the stove. Allow to cool. Blend in tea, if desired. Gargle as usual.
- Drink a horseradish cocktail (horseradish, honey, cloves and warm water). One of the more unusual home remedies, but some people swear by it
How to cure a sore throat fast
Another easy home made recipe
Here's an all natural sore throat remedy made from REAL Lemon juice
Combine hot homemade lemonade with crushed aspirin and a spoonful of honey. Only use real lemons for the Lemonade
How to prevent a sore throat
Since most germs enter the body and blood stream through the mouth, the fastest way to expose yourself to these harmful bacteria and viruses is by forgetting to wash your hands before a meal.
During cold and flu season, it's a good idea to keep your hands away from your eyes, nose and mouth as these are considered entry points for bacteria and germs that can lead to cold, flu and sore throats.
Don't forget to wash your hands often.
While some exposure to germs is normal to help your body develop a healthy resistance, you'll want to sanitize your home often with Lysol or bleach to destroy excess germs that could lead to illness.
Steer clear of sneezing coworkers who are spreading their germs everywhere.
For a very severe throat, you may need to visit your doctor.
7 Things to consider when selecting an effective OTC sore throat medication
If you feel that you need an over the counter sore throat remedy, be sure to consider these things before making a purchase.
- Active ingredient
- Product effectiveness
- Positive past experience with the brand
- Brand name and reputation
- Product flavor
- Regular Price
- Coupon or sale price
Even more tips to sooth a sore throat
- Turn on the warm water humidier. Or, put a pot of water on the stove and simmer to fill the air with warm water. This will sooth your scratchy, irritated sore throat without need for OTC medications
- Wear your socks. You may notice that your throat gets extra sore during very cold weather. If so, be sure to bundle up your feet, neck and head, even when indoors.
- Give your voice a break. There's no reason to stress out your voice when you already have a sore throat. Give up talking unless you really need to say something important, at least until your throat is feeling better.
Nature's anti-biotic for a sore throat
Eating raw garlic may help eliminate sore throat germs since garlic is an all natural anti-biotic.
Garlic is most effective when consumed in raw form, as cooking often destroys the beneficial anti-biotic properties that could heal your body.
If you find the taste of raw garlic to be objectionable, add some to a tomato or V8 juice drink. Or, add fresh, chopped (not cooked) garlic to hot soup. The mild heat from the soup shouldn't be enough to destroy the natural anti-biotic properties of the garlic.
All natural ginger tea to sooth your sore throat
For a throat relaxing experience, try this all natural herbal ginger tea.
1/2 cup peeled, chopped ginger (fresh)
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp lemon
3 cups water
Pour water into a saucepan and bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Next add fresh chopped ginger and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Turn off heat.
Add one green tea or chamomile tea bag to the hot water and allow to steep for an additional five minutes.
Remove ginger tea from water and pour into cup. Sweeten with honey and lemon.
Drink as desired, very warm.
How do you relieve a sore throatSee results without voting
More by this Author
Soothe and pamper your sensitive acne prone skin with Manuka honey, a sweet nectar from nature that can drastically improve your skin tone and heal blemishes and imperfections.
Tired puffy eyes? Dark circles? Fine lines and wrinkles? All these beauty issues can ruin even the most polished look. But, before you grab a jar of over-priced anti-wrinkle eye cream, try these all natural eye...
Get quick pain relief from toe infection or swelling caused by ingrown toenails. Try this easy home treatment for ingrown toenails and experience pain relief quickly.
No comments yet.