6 Natural Remedies For Sore Throat
Sore throat is classified as a ‘pain or irritation of the throat’. It is a common physical symptom, and is one of the most common illnesses in the world. Sore throats symptoms can be treated through antibiotics, but usually through home remedies that prove most effective. Doctors usually recommend anti-biotic in case of strep throat, and do not recommend them when it is normal pain and irritation. Many cough syrups help reducing the instances of sore throat, but there is no cure for sore throat. Home remedies work wonders when it comes to a bad case of the sore throat, this article will discuss many types of home remedies.
Causes of sore throat
Sore throat can be caused by different kinds of infections, like viral infection or bacterial infection.
Examples of viral infections include colds and flu. When they are severe, viral infections present high fever with aching muscles and even runny nose sometimes accompany them. Viral infections can't be cured, but their symptoms can be treated and with proper rest and fluids, they generally disappear on their own within several days.
On the other hand, bacterial infections or (strep throat) is more serious then viral infections. Their symptoms are familiar to viral infection but become more severe and long lasting. A strep infection is thus, mostly treated with antibiotics because there can be a permanent heart damage and even kidney damage.
Other then these two kinds of infections, sore throat can also be caused because of the following reasons;
3. Mouth breathing
4. Throat abuse, which means singing or shouting loudly
5. Infected tonsils
6. Food allergy
Gargles and Sore Throat
· Salt-water gargles are a very good home remedy. They are the most commonly known home remedy and possibly the most effective. They should be done as often as possible during the day. As an extension of this remedy, some people also add a soluble aspirin in the salt water, and gargle throughout. This is very effective and soothes the throat and reduces the pain. Another kind of gargles with the water is doing it with sage. Sage is a curative herb and a great sore throat gargle. Gargles with Listerine are another great way to relieve stress on the throat, and give the pain a good break.
*To make sage water for gargles: Mix 1 teaspoon of sage in 1 cup boiling water. Rest for about 12 minutes, then start straining. Mix 1-1.5 tsp each of cider vinegar and something sweet like honey, and then gargle five-six times a day.
•Cider vinegar gargles are another good home remedy; they might taste a bit bad, but have proven very effective. To make cider vinegar mixture to gargle, add 1-teaspoon salt and 1/2-cup cider vinegar, to 1 cup slightly hot water. Suspend the salt in the vinegar, and then add in the water. Drinking plenty of Herbal tea is another effective home remedy. The warmth of the tea helps sooth the throat, and the element of the herbs helps reduces the impact of the sore throat. And it is perfect for a cold winter’s night. Another popular remedy is drinking cider vinegar. To make that, add 1 tbsp honey and 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar and add them to 8 ounces of water, let it boil and drink while warm.
· Hard candies and Juice bar are also having said to reduce the intensity of the sore throat. Peppermint or peppermint stick or even a candy cane. Don't suck them, though, because it may annoy the throat even more. Simply let the hard candies dissolve in the mouth, cough suppressants and Analgesic Sprays (for example, Chloraseptic) and lozenges, can give brief pain break. But they should be avoided for young children, as the substance is hard and can be a choking hazard. A humidifier can also be helpful in alleviating symptoms, especially in sore throats. Mouth breathing the dry air is cause of this. Along with the home remedies anti-inflammatory painkillers not antibiotics, can help too. For example, Acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
· If the sore throat is accompanied by stuffy and plugged nose, this should be taken care right away. Using postnasal drip and nasal sprays like Afrin, may be effective, they should be used for about three days as to avoid mouth breathing, because mouth breathing further causes sore throat to persist. Decongestant products, such as those containing pseudoephedrine (Sudafed, Mucinex D, Claritin D), may be helpful also. But they should be carefully taken; keeping in mind any previous disease the patient suffers from. It is important to remember to get plenty of rest during sore throat. The body needs to relax and relieve its stress. When you relax, it will give your body more energy to fight the illness.
· Drinking lemon juice can be very helpful, by mixing honey and lemon juice in water. Also drinking hot fluids, such as coffee, tea or hot lemonade can coat the tissue in the throat with warm liquid and sipping hot tea is pleasant and soothing. Steam is a good way to help the sore throat. First take a bowl of steaming hot water and cover the head with a towel to keep the steam in. Adding 1 to 2 drops eucalyptus oil can be soothing and also Vicks.
· Lastly, Chicken soup is an age old, tried and tested home remedy that is perfect for flus, colds and even sore throat. Chicken soup is warm and soothing, and does not contain any species. It is food in liquid form, which is convenient and healthy and most importantly it helps fight off infections.
What Is The Best Home Remedy For A Sore Throat?See results without voting
More by this Author
Rise in Fuel costs This paper reviews how oil prices affect the macro-economy and assesses quantitatively the extent to which the economies of OECD and developing countries remain vulnerable to a sustained period of...
Recommendation letter are used in a different situations; there is no specified list that includes all possible scenario. ...
Despite McDonalds being a multinational food outlet, it is important to analyzed the outlet to evaluate its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats and this can be done by conducting SWOT analysis