Homemade Essential Oil Recipes
Making Aromatherapy Products : Making Aromatherapy Massage Oil
Homemade Essential Oils
The intricacy of the process involved in making essential oils is one reason why they are priced quite expensive when you purchase bottled ones off the store. But why not make your own? The steps are quite simple once you know how to utilize essential oils to making variant recipes for different purposes.
Important Notes When Preparing Essential Oils at Home
To ensure the quality of the essential oil you are using, many have opted to extract them at home. This is especially recommended for those who use essential oils on a regular basis as it allows you to prepare them in large quantities and store for a specific period of time before they turn rancid.
To get started on making your own essential oils at home, follow the basic steps below:
- Harvest the botanical ingredients that will be used mainly as the source for the essential oils to be extracted. If possible, harvest it only when you are about to use it for essential oil extraction. This will help preserve the freshness of the botanical material, which will consequently impact the quality of the oil produced.
- Always use carrier oil when preparing essential oils at home. Some oils produced from the plant are too high in concentration that it can irritate the skin when used topically. Hence, carrier oils will help dilute that concentration to make it safe for use.
- Use measuring devices to ensure that all ingredients are added in proper dosage. If you are new to preparing essential oil recipe at home, you need to use a cup of carrier oil for an ounce of essential oil for proper dilution.
- Heat the material in a double broiler or crack pot. Make sure to use only low heat for approximately 4 to 8 hours to release the volatile oil from the plant. After that, strain the botanical materials to leave only the essential oil.
- Transfer the oil into a separate bottled container, which must be dark colored to allow minimal light penetration, wherein you can store it for weeks to months without turning rancid.
Homemade Massage Oil Recipe
Massaging is both a relaxing and sensual experience. Hence, anyone who is into aromatherapy prefer this method aside from the fact that it is one of the most effective method of application available. The power of touch and its healing capacity is known all throughout the world for several centuries now. So, if you want to experience this benefit, you can certainly prepare your own massage oil at home using various essential oils.
Start off by gathering the following ingredients: essential oils, carrier oils (preferably vegetable oil), eyedropper, measuring devices, and dark colored glass bottles. For a homemade massage oil, you will need about 8 drops of your chosen essential oil combine with 6 drops of carrier oil for a diluting action. Blend these ingredients together and pour into the bottle container for storage.
Easy Aromatherapy Essential Oils Recipes
Different Types of Massage Oil Recipes
Above is the basic massage oil recipe, but if you want to experience a specific effect from the use of aromatherapy massage, then take note of the following recipes:
- For an energizing massage, you need to combine the following essential oils: 12 teaspoon of grapeseed oil, 6 drops of bergamot oil, 2 drops each for jasmine and cardamom essential oil, and a drop of orange blossom essential oil.
- For a relaxing massage, you need to combine the following essential oils: 4 tablespoons of any carrier oil and 10 drops each for lavender, bergamot, and rosemary essential oils.
- For a sensual massage, you need to combine the following essential oils: 2 tablespoons each of rosehip seed oil and any carrier oil, and 10 drops each for patchouli, vanilla, and lemongrass essential oils.
Making Aromatherapy Products : Using Aromatherapy Bath Salts
Homemade Bath Recipe
If you fancy soaking in a bath tub with all the healing essences of essential oils, then you certainly can. Preparing your own aromatherapy bath recipe at home is very simple and it will only take a few minutes to complete. Plus, there is the advantage of being able to choose the essences you want to incorporate into your bath for a specific purpose.
If you want to make aromatherapy bath for healing purposes, then you need to evaluate your condition first. This will provide you hints on the best essential oils to use according to your condition. For arthritis, you can add 3 drops each for marjoram and rosemary oil, combined with 2 drops of ginger oil. If you're trying to battle depression, use 2 drops of rose and jasmine oil with 1 drop of melissa oil. For those suffering from mood swings due to PMS, a combine of 2 drops of clary sage, ylang ylang, and neroli oil, along with substantial amount of sea salt, will help to gradually improve your mood.
If you want to cure muscle aches, an essential oil bath mixture consisting of 6 drops of rosemary oil, 5 drops of juniper oil, and 3 drops of lavender combined with a couple cups of Epsom salts will provide immediate relief from pain.
Aromatherapy Recipes Intro
Homemade Air Freshener Recipe
When it comes to using essential oils to make natural air freshener at home, there are several recipe variations that you can try. It will depend on whether you want to use the air freshener to produce a more pleasant aroma at home, to neutralize pet odors or other unpleasant smell, or to purify the air to prevent respiratory ailments and infections.
The most common recipe for essential oil air freshener is a calming mist spray, which utilizes equal amounts of marjoram, cajeput, lavender, petitgrain, vetiver, and is combined with pure water. Put all of these ingredients together in a mixing bowl and transfer into a spray bottle. Shake the mixture well before spraying to avoid some of the essential oil's aroma overpowering the mixture. This is most ideally sprayed in the evening to induce sleep or improve quality of sleep at night.
If you simply want to enjoy natural room fragrance, you need to add 60 drops of lime and bergamot, 30 drops of tangerine, 15 drops of petitgrain, 10 drops of patchouli and 4 ounces of water. Begin by combining all the essential oils with an emulsifier, then add the water in. Shake the mixture well before spraying.
Making Aromatherapy Products : What Is Essential Oil?
Homemade Essential Oil Blends
The use of essential oil blends in aromatherapy is growing in popularity. This is due to the fact that combining the different properties of various essential oils are attributed to faster healing capacity. When you blend different oils together, it gains more therapeutic power as compared to using them individually.
Just like the process involved in preparing your own essential oil recipe at home, this process is quite simple. You just have to combine the different essential oils together into one mixing container and stir it thoroughly to ensure that the properties are well blended together. However, refrain from simply tossing these different essential oils together since they have to belong to the same botanical family, or in a family that is somewhat similar. This will ensure that the oil properties blend together well and will produce no contraindications.
More by this Author
The beauty of aromatherapy is that it can be utilized and applied in several different ways, allowing its user to pick one that is most convenient to them. One of those potent methods of aromatherapy application is...
Aromatherapy gained its recognition in the medical field as a safe and equally effective approach to healing various ailments as compared to using synthetic drugs or medications. This is due to the reliance on natural...
Because of the bacteria that forms upon perspiration, bad odor is possibly emitted. Although this is one factor, it is not the sole reason. Body odor is caused by the presence of bacteria that thrive on your body during...