Causes of Urinary Tract Infection: Home Remedies to Treat UTI
Urinary Tract Infection: Prevelance and Facts
Urinary Tract Infections, also referred to as cytitis or pylonephritis, refers to lower and upper urinary tract infections respectively. Estimates suggest that UTIs affect approximately 20-40% of females in their reproductive age. In the United States, UTI account to approximately 6 million visits to the physcian each year of which 20% contribute to Emergency Department Visits.
UTI is often associated with a wide range of causes and symptoms which can interfere with the rotuine functioning of an individual. Fortunately there are several home remedies and natural treatment options to manage the condition promptly and effectively.
What are Urinary Tract Infections? Cystitis Vs Pylonephritis
Urinary Tract Infections may be referred to as cystitis ( lower urinary tract infection) or pyelonephritis ( upper urinary tract infection). The term refers to the presence of bacteria or yeast in urine.
In most cases urinary tract infection are associated with symptoms like burning and pain during micturation, but may occasionally present in the form of blood strained urine, especially in cases of severe UTIs.
Urinary Tract Infection Causes: UTI Etiology
Urinary Tract Infection is most commonly caused due to the infection by E. Coli bacteria. However, there are several other bacteria including Eenterococci, Klebsiella, Staphylococci, etc which may contribute to UTI.The common sources of UTI include,
- Bacterial infection from the rectum, or vagina. Poor hygyine can result in transmission of the bacteria to the urinary tract resulting in secondary infections
- Sexual intercourse increases the risk of developing UTIs. Further, estimates suggest that the use of spermicidal gels or diaphragm can increase the risk of infection.
- Restraining the desire to urinate. This causes stretching of the bladder, weakens the bladder, preventing complete emptying. The urine that remains in the bladder increases the risk of infection.
- Urinary Calculi or bladder stones also contribute significantly to the development of urinary tract infections
Home Remedies for UTI: Natural Treatment for UTI
There are several home remedies for UTI, which have been found to be highly effective. Some of them include,
- Baking soda: A blend of ½ tsp baking soda and 8 ounces of water is highly beneficial. The existence of baking soda in the body brings the acid-base balance to equilibrium.
- Cranberries: Cranberries prevent bacteria from clinging to the cells within the urinary tract. Cranberries are powerful UTI fighters and they also supply potent anti-oxidants that boost immunity and defense processes of the body.
- Aromatherapy:Aromatherapy with essential oils help treat cystitis and UTI effectively. The oils that are of particular use are: bergamot, sandalwood, tea tree, juniper and frankincense. Blend 1 of these essential oils with a carrier oil such as almond oil and use it to massage the abdomen. These oils help alleviate inflammation and reduce the symptoms of infection promptly.
- Lemon Detox Diet: A lemon detox diet is considered beneficial in purging out accumulated toxins and waste in the body. A lemon detox diet while being beneficial in purifying the blood also plays a crucial role in improving renal functions and preventing the occurance of UTIs
The most important guideline to handle UTI successfully is increasing the intake of fluids. Ensure that you drink a minimum of 3 liters of water per day. Additionally, consume fresh fruit juices, barley water, soups and coconut water. Stay away from aerated drinks and coffee.
Fluids cleanse the body and flush out unwanted toxic wastes and microbes, thus, hastening cure.
More by this Author
Abdominal distention and bloating are common digestive problems and can be treated promptly using simple home remedies. Lifestyle modifications also help deal with a gassy stomach.
Psoriasis is flaking of the skin and can affect any part of the body including the scalp. Fortunately there are a host of home remedies and natural cures that can be effective in the treatment of symptoms of psoriasis.
Liver Cysts rarely have any symptoms; nonetheless, the condition hampers liver functions considerably. Home remedies help treat the condition successfully and keep the liver functioning optimally.
No comments yet.