How to increase memory power
Most of us at some point of our lives start to notice that our memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Age is one factor that brings about loss of memory power and many of us don't do much about it as long as it does not interfere with the functions of our daily life.
Among many other things, a healthy memory is essential to communicate with others, maintain healthy relationships and be efficient in whatever work one does. For many people lack of memory power gets to be a problem when they start forgetting errands, appointments, names and so on. The use of excess mental effort to retain certain memories can also lead to mental tension.
Some of the things that you can do to increase memory power is the use of herbs, external use of herbal oil preparations, mental exercises and yoga postures.
Ayurvedic herbs to increase memory power
- Brahmi (Gotu kola / Bacopa Monnieri ): Increase memory and intelligence, rejuvenates brain cells and nerves, boosts the immune system and good for senility.
- Ashwagandha (Winter Cherry ): Increase memory, nourishes the nerves and tissues, treats insomnia and calms the mind.
- Ginkgo : Enhances the memory and helps in cognitive problems.
- Shankhapushpi (Convolvulus Pluricalis ): Increase memory, treats insomnia and helps in anxiety.
- Bhringaraj (Eclipta Alba ): Increase memory, treats insomnia and good for mental disorders.
- Jatamansi (Nardostachys Jatamansi ): Increase memory, strengthens the mind and promotes awareness.
External application of oil
Brahmi oil is an excellent remedy for lack of memory power. The oil is used externally by rubbing a small amount on the scalp daily. Use the tips of the fingers and make sure to massage the scalp thoroughly so the oil can be properly absorbed by the skin. Brahmi oil boosts the brain power by making it alert and sharp. It is good for insomnia, nervousness and psychological disorders. It is also very effective in reducing stress level.
Mental exercises to increase memory power
One can think of memory as a muscle that needs regular training to stay in proper shape. Like any other muscle in the body, if not used regularly it gets weak and reduces in size. One very good way to increase memory power is to get involved in games or quizzes that require problem solving and analytical thinking. Sudoku and chess are quite good for this purpose.
Other tips to increase memory power
- Shoulder stand (Sarvangasana) is one yoga posture that increases the blood circulation to the head. It helps to increase memory power by stimulating the head area. This posture is also good for thyroid gland problems, constipation, indigestion, asthma, headaches, nasal congestion and painful menstruation.
- Regular exercise is also essential to help maintain proper circulation in the body.
- Almonds increase memory power and are a great source for nutrition.