Kitchen fire is fast becoming a major domestic accident that is claiming lives of our loved ones on a daily basis. Kitchen fire safety tips and techniques are required knowledge for anyone that would want to live an accident free life that is mostly caused by kitchen fire.
Kitchen can be more devastating when it breaks out because of the architectural design of kitchens. We need to take basic preventive and security measures to ensure that our kitchen is safe and meets the basic kitchen fire fighting and prevention standards. In this hub are some measures that must be taken to ensure that the risk of kitchen fire incident is greatly reduced.
KITCHEN FIRE SAFETY MEASURES
To effectively fight kitchen fire, all the contents of this section must be strictly adhered to:
- ALL KITCHEN DOORS ARE FIRE DOORS: you must make sure that all kitchen doors are fire doors (i.e. doors built with fire proof materials). The reason behind this is that fire easily spread if not confined to one point and doors are the easy escape point for fires. Buying and installing fire doors in your kitchen will greatly reduce the spread of fire in the case of fire outbreak.
- ALL KITCHENS HAVE HEAT SENSORS AND FIRE BLANKETS: heat sensors serves as a warning tool to kitchen users to take cover either by raising alarm or giving them other noticeable sign. Fire blanket is needed in kitchen to remedy an already bad situation. In cases where fire has already started, fire blankets can be used to stay relatively unharmed under fire pending when the fire service team will come to your rescue.
- THEY ALL HAVE AUTOMATIC DOOR CLOSERS AND SPECIAL SMOKE SEALS: automotive door closers and special smoke seals are necessary in kitchens as they help take care of human oversights that would otherwise be disastrous if left unattended to.
- DIAL 999: 999 is the fire service team emergency number if you are in the UK or its equivalent in your country. You need to have these numbers displayed at strategic points in the kitchen as people tend to be tensed up and confused when under the chock of fire breakout.
- LEAVE THE BUILDING QUICKLY BUT ORDERLY VIA YOUR NEAREST ESCAPE ROUTE - DON'T RUN! Running when you are tensed can make you end up involving in other domestic accident that may take your life or cause serious injury. In fact, this advice applies in all that we do in life. I remember the day I ran into sharp object while running for safety in an emergency situation without finding out the nearest and better way of leaving the danger scene.
- DO NOT TRY TO COLLECT UP YOUR BELONGINGS: are your belongings more precious and valuable than your life?
- STAY WITH YOUR COOKING: it is a bad habit and practice to leave your food on fire unattended. The food can get burnt and result into fire. So, stay close and monitor your cooking especially towards the tail end of your cooking. According to the fire service team, the most common cause of kitchen fire that eventually escalates into domestic fire are unattended cooking and grill pan fires.
THINGS YOU MUST NEVER DO IN THE KITCHEN
- NEVER EMPTY THE FIRE EXTINGUISHER: emptying the fire extinguisher is a criminal offense that attracts disciplinary action in many countries. Emptying the fire extinguisher will potentially put the life of kitchen users in danger by chance there is kitchen fire.
- NEVER RAISE FALSE FIRE ALARM: you can cause panic which will result into domestic accident and this will claim lives if care is not taken. This is also a criminal offense punishable under the law.
- NEVER BLOCK EMERGENCY EXIT ROUTES: common sense tells us not to cause obstructions.
- DO NOT DROP SLIPPERY OBJECTON THE FLOOR OF THE KITCHEN: it is legally required of you to keep the corridors and doorways clear of obstructive objects.
- DO NOT USE CANDLES IN THE KITCHEN: candles can ignite fire when left in the kitchen, so stay away from using candle.
More by this Author
Cough, cold and flu in children is undoubtedly a delicate issue to handle. Many young parents tend to be confused as to what to do when these influenzas come knocking. Unknown to them is the fact that herbal mix offers...
It is the pride of every parent to have beautiful babies. But not all that have the knowledge of making that dream come true. A lot of people- especially women- that are of marriageable age have not yet got...
Meaning and importance / significance of financial management suddenly found its way back into the lips, head and heart of almost all living beings. This recent development could be unconnected with the slow recovery of...
No comments yet.