MDA Muscle Up Challenge
The author has no affiliation with the Muscular Dystrophy Association and is not a doctor or celebrity. This challenge is NOT an official program of MDA. All trademarks and copyrights belong to their respective owners.
MDA Muscle Up Poll
What is your interest in this hub?See results without voting
Fight Muscle Disease
On March 9, 2012, Mark Allan Fream (my favorite cousin) lost his lifelong battle with muscular dystrophy. The prior year, Jerry Lewis was pink-slipped by the Muscular Dystrophy Association after 45 years of service. Now the annual telethon on Labor Day runs a short 6 hours versus the 24 hour marathon of stars and entertainment in years past.
Much like Mark, who was a national Jerry's Kid and told he wouldn't live past age 15, muscular dystrophy has largely been forgotten. Mark managed to survive to 50 and was able to walk until his legs finally could no longer carry him a few years before his death. His last year was brutal being shuttled from various nursing homes on a ventilator and feeding tube.
MDA finally launched a new slogan for 2014 of "Muscle up for MDA", which is a thousand times better than the tired "Get locked up for MDA" of the last decade.
To remember my cousin Mark and to help those who have muscular dystrophy, I'm challenging you to muscle up and donate to the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
Muscular Dystrophy Facts
The following list provides quick facts about this disease:
- Muscular dystrophy is a genetically inherited deficiency of muscle protein and progressively degenerative until death.
- The Muscular Dystrophy Association is the nonprofit health agency dedicated to finding treatments and cures for muscular dystrophy.
- Approximately 1 in every 3,000 children are born with this condition.
- Genetic studies and blood tests may be used for detection.
- There are 8 different types with symptoms at birth to onset after middle age.
- Initial symptoms include deformities, scoliosis, decreased muscle tone, or a waddling action when walking.
- Treatment includes a combination of physiotherapy and occupational therapy.
- Surgical methods such as tendon release may be used to reduce muscle shortening, where the tendon connecting the calf muscle to the ankle joint is severed.
- There is no known cure, but modern treatments can prolong the lifespan of people diagnosed with this condition.
- The average lifespan of a person diagnosed with this disease is 20 years.
Jerry Lewis Sings "You'll Never Walk Alone"
Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon
The Muscular Dystrophy Telethon was founded by actor and comedian Jerry Lewis, who hosted the broadcast from its 1966 inception until 2010.
Many expected the first broadcast to fail, as Labor Day weekend was the only timeslot made available. However, Lewis proved them wrong and was forced to paint an additional "1" at the beginning of the six digit tote board after exceeding the telethon goal.
While the format and venue varied over the years, Lewis raise millions each year to help the Muscular Dystrophy Association. In 2011, Jerry Lewis was released and the telethon was transformed into a benefit concert called the MDA Show of Strength. The reduced 2-6 hour broadcast now has only a fraction of the donations of previous years.
- Donate to the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
- Above all be safe.
- Post a short 5 minute or less video with #mdamusleup.
- Challenge others.
Muscle Up Challenge Rules
The purpose of this challenge is simply to raise awareness about muscular dystrophy.
The author has no affiliation with the Muscular Dystrophy Association. This challenge is NOT an official program of MDA.
- Participation in the Muscle Up Challenge is solely voluntary.
- You should be in good health and voluntarily assume all risks to person and property associated with this event.
- Do not participate if you feel the activity poses any risk to your health, well-being, or personal property.
- No one expects or requires you to participate.
- There will be no repercussions or consequences for not participating.
- You are responsible for any claims or liabilities arising from participating, including negligence or carelessness.
- You acknowledge that your challenge video may be used for any legitimate purpose.
Muscle Up Categories
Leg Press 810 Lbs.
There are videos on the web of people doing much more weight. Prior to this recording, I worked with a professional trainer for 9 months. He stressed flexibility and balance, in addition to strength training. I'm 202 lbs. and 48 years old at the time of this recording.
Do not try to emulate. No steroids or mood enhancing drugs were used. The action depicted is potentially dangerous. Do not attempt to duplicate any exercises beyond your own capabilities. Always wear appropriate safety gear.
There are many worthy causes and participation is your choice. The challenge is to raise awareness and donate to the Muscular Dystrophy Association:
- Don't promote your business.
- Perform a true example of strength and not a joke or trivial activity.
- Don't show excessive skin and be modest.
- If you are a celebrity, please remember to mention donation information.
- Many individuals instead prefer to help through service that provides a direct connection with a muscular dystrophy patient.
- Do not use animals in your challenge.
- Do not waste resources such as water or damage property in your challenge.
- Be safe and don't participate unless in good health.
- Do not bully or prank any individual for this challenge.
- Do not send mass e-mails or link to any other websites for donation other than the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
Muscle Up Challenge Summary
Let's remember those with muscular dystrophy and raise awareness.
This hub is not endorsed by the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
Thank you if you choose to participate or help in any way.
Do use common sense and protect yourself at all times.
You are now challenged to Muscle UP!
Please remember anyone you know with muscular dystrophy and post your video link in the comments below.
More by this Author
MDA Muscle Up Comments
No comments yet.