Home Remedies for Arthritis of the Knees: Exercises for Arthritis
Arthritis is becoming increasingly common, principally in individuals over the age of 40 years. Degenerative arthritis is typified by pain in the affected joint, stiffness, swelling around the knees, inflammation and decreased joint mobility.
Arthritis of the knees may be osteoarthritis, where the cartilage present in the joint gets eaten away; or it may be rheumatoid arthritis, which is an autoimmune disorder. Arthritis can inflict different joints of the body, making them inflamed, swollen, stiff, painful and dysfunctional.
The condition can be effectively managed through food prescriptions and dietary measures, simple home remedies and following an exercise regimen.
Home Remedies for Arthritis in the Knees
There are some simple home remedies that are effective in the management of arthritis pain.
- Ginger: The herb is loaded with compounds called gingerols. Research says, gingerols exert noteworthy anti-inflammatory benefits on the arthritic knee. Ginger promises to reduce swelling, pain and stiffness appreciably and also help improve the range of motion of the joint significantly. Have one glass of ginger tea daily.
- Garlic: Garlic is the most amazing herb for degenerative arthritis. Chew two flakes of raw garlic everyday, after meals.
- Turmeric: Since time immemorial, turmeric has been used as an anti-inflammatory agent. Curcumin in turmeric battles inflammation and swelling and thus manages the pain successfully. Add one spoon of turmeric powder to a mug of water and boil well. Have daily.
- Apple cider vinegar: Mix apple cider vinegar and honey and have this thrice daily; it will assuage the symptoms of arthritis effectively.
- Black sesame seeds: Black sesame seeds are loaded with calcium. The seeds help reduce joint stiffness and thus enhance the range of movement of the joint. Soak a spoonful of the seeds every night and consume on waking.
How to Prevent Degenerative Arthritis in the Knees
Make sure that your calcium intake is good. Have plenty of milk, yogurt, cheese, and fish. Experts also advocate a calcium supplement daily, especially those who are 40 years and above. Talk to your health care professional about the supplement that would be best for you.
Along with calcium supplementation, vitamin D3 supplements are vital too. Confer with your orthopedic and start a D3 supplement.
Another supplement that most experts recommend is glucosamine. Glucosamine prevents damage and thinning of the cartilage of the knee joint and prevents too much of wear and tear.
Your consumption of proteins must be high, too. Proteins build cartilage and decrease damage due to wear and tear considerably. Include kidney beans, lean meat, fish, soy, milk and chicken in the everyday menu.
Exercise regularly. A sustained exercise routine will keep the bones, ligaments, tendons and muscles functioning optimally.
Exercise for Arthritis in the Knees
Exercising thrice a week for about 20 to 30 minutes is advised by most physicians. Exercise promises to enhance joint mobility and range of movement significantly; it also builds strength and stamina and strengthens the muscles supporting the knee joint, thus reducing pain and discomfort.
- Aerobics: Aerobics is exceedingly beneficial in the successful management of arthritic symptoms. It builds strength as well as endurance.
- Strengthening exercises: These exercises greatly augment muscle strength and help maintain joint stability.
- Range of motion exercises: These exercises increase the suppleness and flexibility of the joint and alleviate stiffness and discomfort.
More by this Author
Molluscum Contagiosum is a skin infection associated with skin eruptions. This condition is associated with a risk of scarring and simple home remedies and aromatherapy along with homepathy have been efficient in...
Excessive perspiration, combined with multiplying bacteria and poor hygiene, result in dreadful foot odor and immense awkwardness. These guidelines will help you have nice smelling feet.
Liver Cysts rarely have any symptoms; nonetheless, the condition hampers liver functions considerably. Home remedies help treat the condition successfully and keep the liver functioning optimally.
No comments yet.