The Health Benefits of Pomegranates and Pomegranate Juice
Books on the Benefits Antioxidants
The Antioxidants in Pomegranates Provide Great Health Benefits
A Pomegranate is a deciduous fruit that grows on a large shrub or on a small tree. The fruit is the typically the size of an apple and has several seeds. Pomegranates are eaten fresh or used for grenadine syrup, in which the juice of the acid fruit pulp is the main ingredient. Several health studies have been done on the benefits of pomegranate juice.
Antioxidants will help your body guard against what are called "free
radicals" that try to cause damage and disease. Free radicals are also the cause
of premature aging in adults. Pomegranate juice contains more antioxidant power
than red wine, green tea, blueberry juice and cranberry juice. The health benefits of drinking the juice have great potential along with a healthy diet and exercise.
The pomegranate has also been the subject of legendary myths due to its medicinal purposes. Recently the research has been studied towards the benefits of Pomegranate juice for heart disease, aiding in high blood pressure, prostate cancer and other health issues.
Pomegranate Products and Information
How to Get More Health Benefits from the Fruit
Whether you enjoy it as a fruit or juice, believe it or not the pomegranate has more antioxidants than blueberries. Pomegranate juice does have a somewhat enjoyable taste to it. It can taste tart but if you enjoy cranberry juice you will be prepared for its taste. Pom makes a pomegranate juice and some other juices that will takes the edge off of the bitter taste and still provides all the antioxidants. Pom juices start around $4.00 per bottle for a 16 ounce. Most of the experts recommended only 8 ounces a day for full health benefits.
Some researchers believe that the fruit may be more beneficial that the juice itself. In some areas of the country it may be easier to purchase the juice than find the fruit readily available due to the growing season.
Other interesting things to note about the pomegranate is because of its many seeds it been known as a symbol of fertility. The medicinal powers have been mentioned in Greek mythology, the Chinese mention the juice as a longevity drug, and doctors are researching ways to prevent and break down the deposits of cholesterol in the arteries - arteriosclerosis that cause strokes and heart disease.
Here are some reasons to start eating Pomegranates or drinking the juice...
1) Fighting Disease - Rich in Antioxidants that help fight disease.
2) Good for the heart and other areas of the body.
3) Osteoarthritis - Researchers state that "pomegranate fruit extract or compounds derived from it may inhibit cartilage degradation in osteoarthritis"
4) Prostate Cancer from returning - A study found that
pomegranate juice may help fight the return of prostate cancer among
men who have had surgery and aid in prevention.
5) Lower bad cholesterol - Antioxidants in pomegranates have been found to reduce the oxidation of LDL (bad) cholesterol according to a study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
6) Lowering Blood Pressure - a study showed that pomegranates help lower blood pressure among people with hypertension.This can work well with good diet and exercise.
7) Nutrition - a Pomegranate has approximately 40 percent of the recommended vitamin C requirements for an adults, along with fiber, folic acid, potassium niacin and vitamins A and E.
8) Protecting Newborns - A study published in Pediatric Research found that drinking pomegranate juice during pregnancy helped protect newborns' brains during traumatic births.
9) Breast Cancer Prevention - Israeli researchers found that pomegranate seed oil causes breast cancer cells to self-destruct, while leaving healthy cells unharmed.
The pomegranate can be tricky to eat and sometimes it may be easier to get the benefits from the juice itself. You may want to look up how to eat a pomegranate because of the unique qualities of this fruit.