Sciatica and Pregnancy: Massage to Manage Leg Pain
Sciatica during Pregnancy
Sciatica during pregnancy is known to occur fairly frequently. The primary reason for the development of sciatica during pregnancy is the pressure on the spine caused due to the growing size of the uterus.
An impingement of the sciatic nerve causes sciatica, and this is seen as pain in the leg. Leg pain during pregnancy must not be neglected; prompt treatment is crucial in order to prevent severe aggravations.
Sciatica Pain during Pregnancy: Sciatica Symptoms
Characteristically, there is pain in the lower back and the tailbone, the buttocks, the back of the thigh, back of the knee and the calves. The pain may go as far as the toes sometimes. Intermittently, the pain may be mild; however, it can get excruciating and agonizing.
The pain may be associated with tingling numbness and occassionally associated with burning sensation along the leg as well.
Lifting heavy weight, exertion, stress, and sitting for long periods of time trigger and worsen the condition.
Treatment for Sciatica during Pregnancy: Managing Leg Pain
Here are some simple treatment solutions for the management of sciatica during pregnancy:
- By and large, sciatica during pregnancy tends to get resolved by itself. Nonetheless, the pain is very distressing; hence, following certain self care measures will help allay the pain considerably.
- Alternate hot and cold therapy is recommended. Place a hot water bag for 10 minutes, and then replace with an ice bag for 10 minutes. Do this 3 times daily; it will ease the discomfort appreciably
- Visit a physiotherapist. Specific exercises or yoga poses will reduce pain and discomfort and prevent aggravations.
- Speak to your gynecologist, she may prescribe analgesics. Pain killers help decrease the pain. Anti inflammatory drugs and muscle relaxants may also be taken. In severe cases, you may require corticosteroid injections to manage the pain and swelling.
- Vitamin B complex supplements are a must. Vitamin B12 nourishes the nerve and reduces inflammations significantly. A supplement twice everyday is recommended.
How to Relieve Pregnancy Sciatica? Massage for Sciatica
Aromatherapy massages are decidedly beneficial for sciatica; what’s more they are every safe and effective. However, make sure that you get a licensed masseur and aroma therapist for the treatment. Also, use only those essential oils that are permitted during pregnancy. Do consult and discuss with your gynecologist, before resorting to the therapy.
Clove essential oil, ginger essential oil and nutmeg essential oil are advocated to ease sciatica pain. Blend 5 drops of one of these essential oils in 10 ml of a carrier oil, such as, sesame seed oil or olive oil.
It is vital to dilute the essential oil by mixing the it with base or carrier oil before using it for massage on the skin. This is important since the aroma can cause nausea and result in other complications. It is recommended to use essential oils after the first trimester of pregnancy, specifically after the symptoms of nausea and vomitting subside.
Massage gently, using mild strokes in to the spine and back of the leg. Aromatherapy will provide significant amelioration of the distressing pain.
More by this Author
Psoriasis is flaking of the skin and can affect any part of the body including the scalp. Fortunately there are a host of home remedies and natural cures that can be effective in the treatment of symptoms of psoriasis.
Abdominal distention and bloating are common digestive problems and can be treated promptly using simple home remedies. Lifestyle modifications also help deal with a gassy stomach.
Liver Cysts rarely have any symptoms; nonetheless, the condition hampers liver functions considerably. Home remedies help treat the condition successfully and keep the liver functioning optimally.