Home Remedies to Stop a Sore Throat and the Common Cold
“I have a sore throat.” We have all experienced it, and we know that the sore throat can get worse and can turn into a common cold. Symptoms of a sore throat and symptoms of the common cold often start off similarly. First you are feeling fatigued and lethargic then a scratchy throat starts and maybe a sneeze or two. Oh no, here it comes.
How to Prevent the Sore Throat
As soon as you begin to feel the sore throat symptoms, try to rest as much as possible. I know, that is nearly impossible because we are all so busy. You must try, though, or you are going to get worse, and it will turn into the common cold. Before you know it, you are feeling lousy and either curled up in bed, which is where you should be, or passing it around to your coworkers.
Further Easy Home Remedies for the Sore Throat
You know the sore throat is right on the edge of turning into a full blown red swollen, hard to talk, hard to swallow miserable condition. Here are some steps using home remedies you can take (all or mixed) and save you some money that will go to the doctor if you do not get it under control:
- Drink as much water as you can. Hydrating your throat and body will help keep your throat tissue from becoming dry, and you will be flushing out the germs that started it.
- Drink hot green tea. You can get decaffeinated green tea in a variety of flavors. Green tea is packed full of antioxidants that will help rid your body of the virus and germs causing your sore throat.
- Gargle with warm salt water four or five times throughout the day. The salt helps heal the surface of your throat, helping the inflammation go away.
- Take Ester-C. Ester-C is absorbed easily and should be in your daily vitamin intake, especially during sore throat and common cold season.
- Eat salted spicy salsa with chips. The vitamins in the tomatoes and the salt help you fight the sore throat with the methods listed above.
- Drink salted, spicy salsa juice. If you make homemade salsa, save your juice (it cans the same way as your tomato salsa). If not, Spicy V-8 with added salt will help.
- Drink orange juice for the vitamin C. You can also drink other juices with equivalent amounts of vitamin C.
- Rest, rest, rest. It seems impossible, and a sore throat and cold are never convenient, but better to rest and treat yourself with remedies early than to be completely down later.
If You Did Not Prevent the Sore Throat and It Has Turned into the Common Cold
You know the feeling. The sore throat gets worse, your nose is running, you begin to sneeze, and you start to feel a rattling in your chest.
This is when you need to stay home.
Follow all the home remedies listed above to prevent the sore throat because you still have the symptoms and your immune system is down.
More Home Remedies for the Sore Throat Turned Common Cold
- Take a long, hot, steamy bath with treated menthol Epsom salts.
- Use good ole Vick’s Salve on your chest with a towel and a heat pad. This will help break up your congestion.
- Boil a pan of water, get a towel and create a tent over your head, and hold your face over the steam. This, too, will help break up congestion.
- Use a humidifier and stay in bed, in the recliner, or on the couch with a big fluffy blanket.
- Sleep as much as possible.
- Eat some chicken noodle soup, either the good chunky canned kind or the wonderful homemade chicken noodle soup your mom used to make.
All Is Well
Yes, there are many things you can do to prevent a sore throat and common cold, and there are many remedies if your sore throat turns into a common cold. If you eat right, get your daily vitamin C, rest, and drink lots of liquids to keep up your immune system; maybe you can avoid these nasty viruses before they hit.
More by this Author
Anxiety, stress, and panic attacks take a toll on our mental and physical health. Learn how you can stop anxiety naturally. Being overwhelmed and stressed affects every part of our body causing physical and mental...
Some of us do not feel comfortable hearing the cracking and popping when being adjusted by a regular chiropractor. Alternative chiropractic services offer a much gentler way of adjusting vertebrae back into place.
Lucille Ball paved the way for women in the business world and in life. She was the first woman to own her own film company and the first to go on national television showing her pregnancy. Big steps for the Women's...