3 easy ways to save your health, time and money by quitting junk foods.
What is junk food anyway?
I think that the definition of " junk food" may vary from person to person, but the main idea still remain the same. Junk food is a slang word that use to describe food with limited nutrtional value. These includes foods that are high in salt, sugar, fat or calories and low nutriet content.The example of these foods are salted snacks, candy, and pop or carbonated drink. These foods offer 'empty calories' from sugar or fat and lack of nutrients.
Is processed food also junk food too?
The definition of 'processed food' is food that has been altered from their natural state for the safety reason and convenience. The methods used for processing foods may include chemicals that have effect on our health. The methods that used for processing may include canning, freezing, refrigeration, dehydration and aseptic processing.
Not all processed foods are unhealthy. The example is milk and frozen vegetables. The unhealthy processed foods are the ones that made with a lots additives that doesn't offer any nutritional value. These includes packaged high-calorie, high sodium snack foods like chips, processed meats ( contains a huge amount of salt ), canned foods with lots of sodium and sugary candies.
Junk food facts and your health.
Here are reasons why you should avoid junk food and processed food. ( How it affects you in an unhealthy way)
1. You taste buds will be ruined. The living proof is my experience. I used to be addicted to potato chips and pops and I have found out that MSG that contained in the snack actually make my taste buds numb for a long time. I couldn't enjoy any food without msg or salt.
2. Hidden ingredients that you don't know. I always look for simple ingredients on the label of the product. If you find that the name of ingredients are not familiar to you or have a scientific name, then it might be additive that are added to preserve, enhance flavor and color. These chemicals are toxic to our body and will be stored in our fat cells.
3. Mostly no nutritional value. Processing takes all the goodness in a living food out and you get almost nothing from it. That's why some people call it 'dead food' ( Example is processed meats and such) Even though many companies claims that they add nutrients back into the food but the fact is that your body still can't use any of these synthetic nutrients.
However, it is so convenient, what can you do about it to replace its advantages?
There are many ways you can eat healthy and have more energy yet still save your precious time and effort, but a little bit of commitment will be neccessary. Junk food play a role for convinience, snack and preservation. Then here's what you can do :
1. For snacking, try fresh fruits and healthy snacks with less salt in it. If you have time, making your own snack can be fun and satisfying. If you don't have time, look for snacks without msg or too much salt. Nuts and dried fruits can be another good example of good snacks.
2. Preservation. You may buy preserved products once in a while, look for something more natural, means that you can tell what's in it on the label. Frozen fruit and vegetables are good, but it will be the best that you buy fresh fruit and vegetables that are in season with the best flavor and nutrients.
3. Convenience. I cannot deny that it is so convenient to just grab ready-made frozen foods and head back home. This time let's cook once a month, or once a week just how you plan your meal and create wonderful, flavorful home cook meals and put in containers separately just like supermarket meals with higher nutritional value and freshness. There are many recipes that you can turn into freezer meals. This will save you time and energy, plus have a good health.
Useful cooking sites :
- Freezer Meals Recipes, Everyday foods from scratch, frozen for convience
Freezer Meals and sides that are easy to make and freeze ahead, allowing you more freedom at dinnertime.
- Freezer Cooking Recipes - Once a Month Cooking
- MyRecipes.com - Find the Best Recipes, Dinner Ideas, and Menus
Cook recipes that taste great. From quick dinner recipes, party foods, budget menus and healthy diet selections, you'll easily find any recipe you need. Search thousands of delicious recipes and menu ideas from the experts at Cooking Light, Southern
Cooking video example of how to organize a freezer meal cooking.
More by this Author
The quality of bottled water has been questioned more often because of the regulation that doesn't offer the best interest to consumer. Not every brand is not trustable, but if you need to buy bottled water to use...
Cool, clean water is the best beverage of all time. http://www.flickr.com/photos/10451396@N00/429388973/ Our body is 66% percent water. From all the cells that make the human body contain water and need water to...
Basically, lactose intolerance is the inability to digest the sugar in milk, lactose. The cause is the shortage of enzyme that uses to digest lactose, lactase, which is normally produced in the small intestine. When the...