Nutritive Value of Red Grapes: Grapes enhance Immunity and Protect the Heart
As per a research conducted in Spain, red grapes help in controlling cholesterol levels, hypertension and avert heart attacks. The researchers at Madrid University found that the benefits of red grapes could be attributed to the significant amounts of fiber and anti-oxidants found in the skin and the seeds of the grapes.
Clinical trials conducted on a group of patients suffering from blood pressure, demonstrated that the regular consumption of red grapes helped in controlling cholesterol levels and aided in reducing blood pressure levels substantially. The participants also showed significant improvement in their lipid profile.
Nutritive Value of Red Grapes
Estimates suggest that grapes are high in Vitamin C and Vitamin K. Grapes are also low in saturated fats, cholesterol and sodium content. Though grapes are good for optimum health, a large portion of the calories comes from sugars
Some of the dietary facts associated with red grapes include:
- Grapes provide 104 calories in each serving of approximately 150 grams. Most of the calories come from carbohydrates and sugars.
- A serving of 150 grams of grapes contains 5 % of dietary fiber and equal quantity of proteins.
- Red grapes also contain Iron, Vitamin A and Calcium in relatively smaller quantities.
- Estimated glycemic load is approximately 9. Glycemic load is an indication of how the food affects blood sugar levels. Ideally Glycemic load should be lower than 100 per day, especially for obese and diabetic individuals. This makes red grapes an important part of diabetic diet and weight loss diet. .
Grapes to enhance Immunity: Protects against Cancer
The action of grapes on the immune system is slightly complex.
- With high levels of Vitamin C, grapes tend to strengthen the body’s immunity in response by propping up the immunoglobulin.
- The antioxidants in grapes in the form of flavonoids protect the body from free radical damage.
- Grapes also contain tannin, a polyphenol which is considered effective in fighting against cancers and viruses.
Unfortunately red grapes are associated with slight inflammatory properties and excess consumption of grapes can be harmful to health.
Grapes to Protect the Heart: Prevent Atherosclerosis
Red grapes are packed with bioflavanoids, which are potent anti-oxidants that have a strong action against plaque formation within the arteries. Resveratrol, another polyphenol is known to have a protective action on the arterial walls and prevents atherosclerosis.
Another nutrient called pterostilbene, directly affects the enzymes that regulate cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the blood. Grapes are effective in regulating cholesterol levels in blood.
Grapes are also very effective in management of peripheral venous disorders like varicose veins. Bioflavanoids prevent the clotting of platelets and thereby prevent clot formation and aid in reducing venous congestion.
More by this Author
Psoriasis is flaking of the skin and can affect any part of the body including the scalp. Fortunately there are a host of home remedies and natural cures that can be effective in the treatment of symptoms of psoriasis.
Angular cheilitis is associated with formation of sores around the mouth and can be associated with several causes. The symptoms of the condition can be treated using home remedies and healthy diet.
Liver Cysts rarely have any symptoms; nonetheless, the condition hampers liver functions considerably. Home remedies help treat the condition successfully and keep the liver functioning optimally.