Signs of Conduction Aphasia - Acquired Language Disorder
One of my friend’s fathers had a stroke on January 1st and then we were able to know through the doctor, "what is conduction aphasia". Conduction aphasia in simple words means associative aphasia which is a rare type of acquired language disorder. Below are a few signs of conduction aphasia:
- The patient suffering from conduction aphasia is not able to speak or understand properly.
- The patient is not able to count money or able to do any sort of calculation.
- After the stroke, the patient can face a lot of problems in comprehending what other person says. However, sometimes the patient can pick up very quickly but yet at times it can take him too long to understand smallest of things.
- As far as speech is concerned, the patient is not able to speak out the words properly. Initially, the patient is not able to even name almost everything but after some treatment, the patient can name some things but still the patient calls things with a wrong name for example, he/she would call a “chair” as “a towel” or would call “a 10-dollar note” as “a 100-dollar note” and sometimes, the patient can speak words which does not even exist.
- Sometimes, it can also happen that whatever goes in the patient’s mind comes out of his mouth even if he/she wants to say something else.
- Diagnostic tests for conduction aphasia including CT scan can show a clot in the left hemisphere of the brain which affects the patient’s speech and ability to comprehend. This is the reason why sometimes conduction aphasic patients are not able to perform analytical tasks like calculating, etc.
- Though initially, the patient’s memory gets totally diminished but it has a tendency to get restored after treatment.
- Most important thing is that a patient suffering from this acquired language disorder or associative aphasia may think that whatever he speaks or does is always right.
- The patient’s allopathic medication can include piracetam capsules and besides allopathic treatment, patients suffering from conduction aphasia can also be given herbal capsules like Ginko Biloba.
- Physical exam findings and diagnostic tests can show cortical damage involving temporal and frontal lobes.
- Patients suffering from conduction aphasia must continue their medications and must seek help from a speech therapist more specifically a speech therapy pathologist before it is too late because it is seen that the maximum improvement occurs within 6 to 12 months of onset of this disease.
- Speech therapy plays an important role in improving the condition of patients with conduction aphasia and may also help in treatment of speech comprehension difficulties.
So above were a few signs of conduction aphasia. According to medical literature, there is a lot of scope for treatment of conduction aphasia. Moreover, emphasis is given to early treatment for good recovery. Regular communication exercise, Western Aphasia Battery, computer-aided language therapy has been found beneficial in treatment of this rare acquired language disorder. It is highly recommended that the patient refrain from activities that can cause traumatic brain injury or head trauma.
More by this Author
In very simple terms, PCOS or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is a genetic problem with various hormonal manifestations. It presents with a rainbow of symptoms, including: difficulty losing weight, a tendency to gain...
Getting pregnant with irregular periods is not very easy but not impossible at the same time. The first thing which comes in everyone’s mind who is reading this topic is that a women can get pregnant easily if she...
Are you afraid of driving a standard transmission car? If yes then read this article that I have written especially for beginners who want to kick start driving a standard transmission car. I have provided step by step...