Effects of Cigarette Smoking: Why Do People Smoke?
Effects of Smoking: Cigarette Smoking
As per WHO statistics, Smoking related-diseases are responsible for one in every ten adult deaths globally, and is estimated to result in one in six deaths by 2030.
Currently, four million premature deaths across the world are attributed to smoking. Smoking is associated with a wide range of physical and psychological symptoms, which have a detrimental effect on the overall health status of an individual.
Dangers of Smoking: Reason why People Smoke?
Smoking is not merely a bad habit but is a form of addiction. One of the major reasons identified for smoking is peer pressure. Further, studies have shown that tobacco is the world’s most commonly used psychoactive drug and is associated with psychological stress. According to Sigmund Freud’s theory of psychology, every individual has a death instinct, which when turned outwards may result in aggression but when turned inwards may result in self destructive thoughts. The mere knowledge of the life threatening effects of smoking can actually appeal to people and create an urge for smoking.
Risks of Smoking: Effects of Smoking
As per studies, tobacco smoke contains more than 4000 different chemicals which have detrimental effect on the health. In addition to nicotine, other chemicals include hydrogen cynide, carbon dioxide, benzopyrene, ammonia, carbon monoxide, lead and traces of arsenic. The effects of tobacco include,
- Smoking is associated with respiratory illness as smoking destroys the natural defense of the respiratory system and can subsequently result in breathing problems
- About forty three substances have been identified with result in cancer. Ninety percentage of deaths due to smoking are attributed to lung cancer, while others are attributed to cancerous of the lips, tongue, pharynx, esophagus, etc
- Smoking is strongly associated with cardiovascular ailments and puts an individual at an increased risk of embolism, angina and heart attacks. Further, smoking is associated with circulatory disease
- Nicotine and carbon monoxide cause the walls of the arteries to weaken which in turn may result in atherosclerosis, hypertension and elevated levels of blood cholesterol
- Carbon monoxide has a strong affinity for hemoglobin, which reduces the ability of hemoglobin to bind with oxygen and in turn results in reduced oxygenation to the various organs of the body. Decreased oxygenation may be associated with heart attacks, strokes or organ failures
- In addition smoking can result in elevated levels of anxiety and depression.
Give up Cigarette Smoking: Second Hand Smoking and Health
Studies have shown that smoker’s tend to spend about fifteen percent more time in bed due to some form of illness compared to non smokers. Smoking is also responsible for premature aging of the skin and a pale grayish complexion.
Quitting smoking has several advantages,
- It improves overall health of an individual. Your energy levels are bound to increase multifold as your immunity and oxygen saturation increases. Individuals are less likely to feel tired and stressed out
- Smoking can help improve personal relationship. Evidence suggests that smokers tend to have a inferiority complex and tend to fair poorly on interpersonal relationships. Quitting smoking reduces psychological dependences, irritability and anxiety levels which in turn improve personal relationships
- Smoking can affect your family. Active smoking is harmful but passive smoking can be equally detrimental. Smoking can endanger the health of your loved ones including your partner or your children.
More by this Author
Abdominal distention and bloating are common digestive problems and can be treated promptly using simple home remedies. Lifestyle modifications also help deal with a gassy stomach.
Human Growth Hormone is the primary hormone for building muscle mass and increasing height. While synthetic HGH is available, there are several foods that can help increase its natural production.
Liver Cysts rarely have any symptoms; nonetheless, the condition hampers liver functions considerably. Home remedies help treat the condition successfully and keep the liver functioning optimally.
No comments yet.